Hi all! Today turned out to be a much better day that happened to also include some tasty eats. I have to say I cannot wait for the smoke to clear so I can back to walking in the outdoors. I actually miss it. Breakfast was eggsellent! Healthy Eggroll (Mission Extra Thin Yellow Corn Tortilla, Sargento RF[Read More…]
#FlashbackFriday with one of my favorite fall meals. As the weather changes and the days get shorter, I tend to crave comfort foods that warm me up and require very little “cooking” to get them on the table. Make up a batch of this incredibly easy Slow Cooker Turkey and Vegetable Chili by filling your slow cooker with turkey, peppers, onions,tomatoes, green chilies and a few spices before you head out in the morning. When you walk in the door, dinner is ready and waiting for you to serve up this chunky turkey and vegetable chili topped with your favorite toppings and corn bread on the side.
Feel free to get creative with your ingredients by using whatever beans you have on hand, adding in additional veggies or boosting the “fire” ratio with some hot sauce or chipotle peppers.
SLOW COOKER TURKEY VEGETABLE CHILI (print it!)
- 1.25 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup Taco Seasoning (make your own here!)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (mix & match any color)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- Three 15 oz cans kidney or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz fire roasted, diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos or 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups water
1. In a large pan sprayed with nonstick spray, brown the ground turkey. Drain off any water and pour the ground turkey into your slow cooker.
2. Add remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, stir, cover and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours or high heat for 4-6 hours.
3. Ladle into soup bowls and add your favorite toppings ~ 0% Greek Yogurt for sour cream, jalapenos, cheese, tortilla chips, hot sauce, pico de gallo ~ whatever sounds good!
Makes twelve, heaping 1 cup servings, 100% Simply Filling, 5 Smartpoints, 5 points+ each
Nutritional information per serving calculated at caloriecount.com
STEP – BY – STEP:
Chop all your veggies and prepare the remaining ingredients while the ground turkey browns over medium heat, cooking about 10-12 minutes.
Drain the meat and sprinkle with the taco seasoning.
Add in some color ~ peppers, onion, celery and garlic.
Then, layer on the remaining ingredients. Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies for a little smoky heat. You could kick it up a notch by adding a chipotle pepper in adobo too.
Plus your beans times….I added one more can of pinto after these.
Then, finish with the corn, jalapeno and water.
Stir to combine, cover and slow cook all day long.
Scoop into chili bowls, add your toppings and dig in. This recipes make a lot of chili so be sure to save a few in single serving containers to freeze for a quick meal or lunch another day.
Thanks everyone for sharing all your Active Birthday Ideas! I think we have a few to add to our list…including biking all around France (so fun!) I will catch up with you all tomorrow.