Hi everyone! I have another recipe for you from my Healthy Holiday series. Part 1 was all about my super Simple Glazed Ham With Pineapple, but, we all know you need to have cheesy potatoes to go with the ham. I honestly think cheese makes everything taste better, in fact, my mom used to put cheese on everything growing up just to get me to eat it. That’s probably why I am such a fan of broccoli covered in cheesy sauce!
Healthy Au Gratin potatoes, aka, Scalloped Potatoes (I am not sure of the difference) are probably one of my favorite side dishes in the world, aside from mac and cheese! This version comes from a Weight Watcher Recipe that I modified a bit and it seriously rocks! I used sharp low-fat cheeses to bring out the cheesy flavor along with sweet Yukon potatoes with their skin to boost the flavor and fiber. You still get a little buttery richness, but, the fat free milk helps to lighten it up. Your family will not even be able to tell that you “healthified” this recipe because it is packed with cheesy, rich, flavor.
HEALTHY AU GRATIN POTATOES (print it!)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces low-fat shredded SHARP cheddar cheese (grate your own as it melts better)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic salt or sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in flour; then add milk slowly, stirring.
3. Add potatoes and stir to mix. Bring to a boil. Stir in 3/4 cup of the sharp cheddar cheese and 2 tbsp of the shredded parmesan cheese, garlic salt and pepper.
4. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and level out surface. Bake for 1 hour, uncovered. Cover and bake until potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes more.
5. Change oven temperature to broil. Sprinkle remaining cheese over potatoes. Broil 6 inches from the heating element until the cheese is golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces.
Makes 8 servings, 5 WWFreestyle Smartpoints or 5 points+ each!
Nutritional information per serving calculated with all ingredients
STEP – BY – STEP
Rinse/scrub your potatoes and thinly slice.
Melt 1 Tbsp of real butter over medium heat while you thinly slice your red onion.
Add your red onion and cook for about 5 minutes until onions start to brown/caramelize.
Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
Stir in 2 Tbsp all purpose flour.
Slowly add your milk making sure you scrap the bottom of the pan for any browned bits.
Add your potatoes and bring mixture to a boil and remove from heat.
Add 3/4 c of your lowfat sharp cheddar cheese and parmesan (I used shaved since it is what I had, but, shredded works just as good).
Add your spices and stir to combine.
Pour mixture into your prepared 9 x 13 dish and bake according to directions above.
Tadah!!! Super easy, cheesy, right?! Allow to cool 5 minutes and cut into 8 slices.
Coming up next…..my favorite Holiday Vegetable in the world……You knew it had to include bacon, right?!
To be continued……. 😉