Green Beans with Caramelized Onions & Bacon is one of my FAVORITE childhood classic dishes. However, the version I grew up with was not so healthy ~ picture loads of butter with the onions and mushrooms “fried” in the bacon green. I cleaned up this recipe by using a healthy cut of bacon and just a kiss of real butter. It’s pretty easy to make and can be whipped up fairly quickly while everything else cooks for your holiday meal.
I doubled up the vegetable sides to go with the Simple Glazed Ham with Pineapple and Au Gratin Potatoes. The other veggie was Honey Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cashews. I find it helps me stay on track easier when I have two delicious vegetables that I can pile on half my plate leaving 1/4 of my plate for protein and 1/4 for carby goodness.
GREEN BEANS WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS & BACON (print it!)
- 1 pound green beans
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced white mushroom, optional
- 6 slice Cooked Center-Cut Bacon or Turkey Bacon
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
1. Prepare all veggies – snap ends off beans and break in half, slice onion and mushrooms.
2. Cook bacon and break into pieces. Set aside.
3. Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray and add onions and mushrooms (if using). Saute onion and mushrooms until tender and slightly browned/caramelized, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
4. Boil green beans in enough water to cover them for 6-8 minutes or until crisp tender and drain.
5. Add butter, garlic salt, pepper, onion/mushrooms, and bacon. Stir just until combined.
Makes 6 servings – 1/2 cup each, 1 Points+
Nutritional information per 1/2 cup serving
1. Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and add onions (plus mushrooms if using). I omitted them this time since The Husband’s mom does not like mushrooms.
2. Cook and crumble your bacon ~ set aside.
3. Steam your green beans. I saved time by buying Trader Joe’s steam in a bag Green and Yellow Beans. I LOVE green beans, but, do NOT love preparing them ~ Thanks TJ’s!
4. Add garlic salt, pepper and butter to your green beans. TIP ~ You can always let your butter melt a little and remove any extra if you feel you have enough to cover your veggies.
5. Add caramelized onions (plus mushrooms) and bacon.
6. Stir to combine and enjoy!
What healthy holiday meal with be complete without dessert?! The only question is……..
Which dessert do you want to see the recipe for tomorrow??
Let me just say EVERY SINGLE RECIPE below is POINTS+ FRIENDLY
From Key Lime Pie…..(5 points+)
To Pumpkin Pie (pecan or any of your favorite pie flavored) bites! (1 points+)
The one thing I HAVE to HAVE every Christmas ~ Coconut Pound Cake! (9 points+ & worth it!)
Carrot Pumpkin Cupcakes with Homemade Whipped Frosting…..(3 points+)
Or get fancy with Healthy Tiramisu Cupcakes……
Or, if you just don’t have time to “bake” ~ make these Super Easy 4 Ingredient Rocky Road Squares for 3 points+ each…..
I probably could go on but I think that I’ll just stop right there and let you all pick….
Which dessert do you want me to serve up tomorrow for our Healthy Holiday Celebration?
Night all ~ Sweet Dreams!