This Butter Bean, Sausage & Kale soup recipe can be made in less than 30 minutes. It is loaded with flavor from the STAR ingredients ~ Spicy Turkey Sausage and Italian Tomatoes. This recipe was inspired based on all the delicious soup recipes I saw in my Weight Watcher Classic Comforts Cookbook and the BIG can of butter beans I have been wanting to find a way to use. I LOVE idea of taking flavored sausage, plus beans plus VEGGIES to create a soup that gets better with each bite.
BUTTER BEAN, SAUSAGE & KALE SOUP (print it!)
- 2 links, 7 oz total, Lean Spicy Turkey Italian Sausage, casings removed (I used Jennie-O)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 32 oz Chicken Broth
- 15 1/2 oz white beans, drained and rinsed, (I USED BIG Butter Beans)
- 14 1/2 oz can diced, Italian tomatoes
- 1/2 Kale bunch, roughly chopped
- A few pinches of crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly Ground Pepper and sea salt to taste
1. Spray a large saucepan with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, onion, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring frequently to break up the sausage until the sausage is no longer pink, 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
2. Add the water, beans, and broth; bring to a boil. Add the Kale, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Makes 4 LARGE servings, 5 Points+ Each!!
Nutritional information per 1 HEAPING cup serving calculated using caloriecount.com
Add your lean spicy turkey sausage plus veggies and cook over medium high heat.
Add your garlic and cook 1 additional minute.
Add your beans, tomatoes, water and chicken broth.
Add your kale, cover and cook until kale is cooked, about 10 minutes.
Tadah!!! Super fast, super easy! Add crushed red pepper flakes.
Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and additional crushed red pepper flakes or hot sauce!
This soup freezes well too so why not double the recipe to have some now and then later for the nights you don’t feel like cooking.
Sometimes looking through my archives for recipes to share with you all this early in the morning totally makes me hungry. I am pretty sure if I had some of this on hand, I’d be eating it right now, at ohhh, 6 am …..
Have a fantastic day all! I will be back tonight with my daily eats!