#FlashbackFriday with this Zero Point Chicken with Corn & Tomato salad. You only have to count the Smartpoints for the creamy avocado – worth it!
I am super excited to be the HOST for this week’s Craving Ellie In My Belly Cook Book Club. My goal was to pick something that really embraced summer, yet was light and simple. I was able to pick up almost everything I needed to make this Chicken with Warm Tomato-Corn Salad at the Farmer’s Market!!!
I have to admit is was really hard for me to pick just one recipe because I love so many in my Ellie Krieger Cookbooks.
We both loved the Warm Tomato-Corn Salad and definitely think that the fresh corn was the star of the recipe. I think next time I’d only use 1 garlic clove and I’d serve it cold. I decided to spice up the chicken ~ Cajun Style so that the avocado and tomato corn salad could cool your mouth off 🙂
It’s sort of funny that the presentation resembles that of my POM Infused Chipotle BBQ Chicken with Fresh Corn Salad, but, I swear it’s just a coincidence. I picked out this recipe a few months ago….Guess, I really just love fresh summer corn all summer long.
This recipe is so easy and seriously goes together in minutes ~ so go out there, be a Locavore buying everything at your local Farmer’s Market, make it and come back to tell me what you think.
Chicken with Warm Tomato-Corn Salad Recipe
- 1 1/4 lbs thin cut skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp’s Cajun Seasoning
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 scallions, minced, white and green separated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups corn kernels (from 3-4 ears fresh uncooked corn or frozen)
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, sliced
- 3 Tbsp’s fresh lime juice or 1 lime cut into wedges
- 3 Tbsp’s cilantro, roughly chopped
1. Spray chicken with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle/rub in the Cajun seasoning.. Heat outdoor or indoor grill to medium high heat. Grill chicken until cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep it warm.
2. Add the 2 tsp oil to the pan, over medium high heat. Add scallion whites, cooking and stirring for 1 minute. Add the garlic. Cook and stir 30 seconds more. Add the tomatoes and corn to the pan. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the scallion greens and season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place 1 cup of the vegetable mixture on each plate. Top with chicken breast and slices of avocado. Sprinkle with cilantro, lime juice or wedge and serve.
Makes 4 servings, 1/4 of the Grilled Chicken Breasts, 1 cup salad, 1/4 Avocado
Nutritional Information Per Serving for all ingredients:
Ellie’s original recipe called for basic grilled chicken seasoned with salt & pepper. However, I wanted to kick it up a notch and decided to use my Watkin’s Blazin’ Cajun as a Rub.
Spray with nonstick spray, then, sprinkle and rub in your Cajun seasoning.
Scallions & Garlic!
TIP ~ Whenever you slice corn off the cob, do it in a BIG BOWL to keep it from going all over the place.
Stir to combine & your salad is done.
It’s awesome though because now I have a bunch of fun recipes lined up for you all this week including playing catch up with my CEiMB Recipes for the past two weeks and my last Summer of POM Series recipe coming up tomorrow.
Happy Sunday all!