Whip up these Weight Watchers friendly cheesy chicken stuffed shells for Mother’s Day or this week’s Flashback Friday. There are a few recipes that are so completely delicious that they make their debut on our dining table often. I have made these Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Pasta Shells for years with several variations including making them vegetarian and vegan. They are easy to make and packed with tons of cheesy goodness. Serve them up with a 3 point slice of Alexia Garlic Baguette and a nice salad for a complete dinner that your entire family will love. They taste even better the next day and freeze well too!
CHEESY CHICKEN STUFFED PASTA SHELLS (print it!)
- 12 shells uncooked jumbo shells
- 1 1/2 cups marinara
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups fat free ricotta cheese
- 4 oz chicken breast, cooked, skinless, diced – Make it yourself or use rotisserie chicken
- 16 oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained of excess water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 4-5 basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp black pepper and sea salt
- 1 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cups grated Parmesan cheese
1) Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2) Cook manicotti shells in salted boiling water according to the package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water to prevent them from cooking further. Set aside.
3) Coat a 9 x 13-inch pan with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup of sauce evenly over bottom of pan and set aside.
4) For filling, in a large bowl, stir together egg whites, ricotta cheese, chicken, spinach, garlic powder, salt, pepper, basil and Italian seasoning. Stir in 1/4 cup each of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
5) To assemble, spoon cheese mixture into manicotti shells and place filled shells in a single layer in baking dish. Spread remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses and bake about 30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings, 2 stuffed shells for 9 Smartpoints or 7 points+
* Make it VEGETARIAN by using chickenless chicken and/or omitting the chicken.
** Make it VEGAN by omitting the chicken, using Veggie Shreds Mozzarella and clicking HERE for recipes for “mock” Ricotta or using tofu for the ricotta.
Nutritional information per 2 stuffed shelled serving calculated at caloriecount.com
Make up your filling while you boil your noodles according to the box directions.
Spray a 9×13 pan with your olive oil mister (nonstick spray) and spread a small layer of your marinara sauce ~ 1/2-3/4 cup. Stuff your shells and place them in the pan. Then,top with remaining sauce and remaining cheeses.
Bake at 350 for ~ 30 minutes.
This was one of the first recipes I added to my site during my first year blogging. Bringing it up from the archives reminds me that I NEED to make it for us again soon.