One of the best ways to fire up your morning and start your day is with this delicious, easy, low Smartpoints Chili Relleno Egg Casserole. Fluffy cheesy eggs on top of mild pepper green chillies with a little smoke chipotle to turn the heat up a bit. The sweet tomatoes and cilantro from the garden add the perfect kiss of summer. This casserole is super tasty by itself but feel free to add any of your favorite fixin’s to spice it up or cool it down – salsa, jalapenos, sour cream, avocado fresh veggies or you can be like The Husband and add ketchup (his only egg topper lol).
It actually works well as a light quiche for lunch or dinner too. Just serve it up with fresh fruit or a simple side salad to round out your meal.
Can you believe I made it through all that without saying “the heat is on”?! Lol…this casserole really does have the perfect balance and isn’t too spicy, promise.
CHILI RELLENO EGG CASSEROLE (print it!)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 oz mild green chillies, drained
- 1 chipotle in adobo, minced
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups lite Mexican cheese, shredded ( I use Trader Joe’s)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt & 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat an 9 inch square pan and a medium nonstick pan with cooking spray.
- Heat the nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Stir in chilies and chipotle then cook about 1 minute more. Spoon mixture evenly into prepared 9 inch square pan; sprinkle with cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, sour cream, sea salt and pepper together. Pour over cheeses and sprinkle with tomatoes and cilantro.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until the casserole is lightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes, cut into 6 slices and serve.
Makes 6 servings, 100% Simply Filling or 4 Smartpoints per slice.
Nutrition facts per slice (includes vegetables):
Enjoy as is or top with your favorite toppers like homemade salsa with refreshing watermelon on the side for the perfectly light summer meal.