I am a big fan grilled chicken and mushrooms. Add a little wine with a cream sauce and I am sold. I LOVE Marsala sauce but the traditional version is packed with fat. The recipe below is so packed with creamy, wine, mushroom flavor, I guarantee you won’t miss the butter or fat.
Creamy Grilled Chicken Marsala & Grilled Carrots
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
4 4-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
16 small carrots, peeled
12 oz marsala or low-sodium chicken broth (you can use 1/2 wine & 1/2 broth too)
8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
2 shallots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 sprig fresh rosemary
4 tbsp nonfat yogurt
4 sprigs fresh rosemary & chopped chives for garnish, optional
Add 1 tsp of arrow root (like cornstach) if you want a thicker sauce, optional
1. Mix rosemary, sea salt, pepper and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Sprinkle spice mixture over chicken and set aside.
2. Boil carrots for about 8-10 minutes and remove; dry on a paper towel and set aside.
3. Add 2 tsp Olive Oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add mushrooms, shallots and garlic. Season with more salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are slightly browned and soft. Add wine/broth and simmer until sauce reduces to one third, about 20 minutes. Add arrowroot if using and remove from heat.
4. While the marsala sauce reduces, grill chicken for 8-10 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Grill carrots for about 5 minutes, rotating until charred.
5. Once the mushroom sauce has reduced, remove from heat and whisk in yogurt. Divide carrots among 4 plates and top each with chicken, mushroom marsala sauce and a sprig of rosemary.
Makes 4 servings
FUNNY STORY OF THE DAY!!!
I had everything on hand to make this today, but, the Marsala. I stopped at Whole Foods at lunch to pick it up and guess what – I GOT CARDED buying cooking wine!!! How funny is that?! Obviously they had a need to be worried since the WHOLE bottle is now gone 🙂 (I used it in the recipe LOL).
STEP BY STEP PHOTOS:
Mix your spices – I used too much pepper in my version so I reduced it for the actual recipe.
Sprinkle your chicken with your spice mixture and place it on the grill to cook.
Add your carrots to boiling water to par cook while the chicken cooks and start your mushroom sauce.
Heat your sauce pan with 2 tsp olive oil and add your shallot, garlic and mushrooms.
Saute until lightly browned.
Add your bottle of wine – Marsala or your favorite Red/White wine would work too.
Add your Rosemary Sprig and simmer until the sauce reduces to 1/3
Remove your rosemary sprig and turn the heat off. Stir in your greek yogurt.
To create a FANTASTIC creamy, wine mushroom sauce.
Remove your grilled chicken and carrots from the grill ~ top with sauce & serve.
I was joking with The Husband that carrots were the new “hot dogs” – they do remind me of hot dogs, but, I think he’d shoot me if I served these in a bun 😀
Creamy Grilled Chicken Marsala
Super Sweet Grilled Carrots
This dish is so easy, healthy and packed with flavor. Enjoy!