It’s been awhile since I created a new recipe for you all and I think it’s time I stepped up my game with this Super Bowl Pizza recipe (pun intended! lol). Deep Dish Deliciousness is probably what I should’ve titled this recipe for my Deep Dish Pizza Supreme. This pizza begins with one amazing pizza crust that is topped with cheese, then, layers of sausage, turkey pepperoni, onions, peppers, mushrooms and more cheese that bakes up all golden and bubbly. Would you believe me if I told you it’s a healthy Deep Dish Pizza that is totally Weight Watchers SmartPoints friendly after a statement like that?
It’s OK, I am sure your guests won’t believe you either. The Husband doesn’t give me 5 out of 5 stars too often, but, this recipe is on the top of his list for any pizza recipe I’ve ever made him. I couldn’t agree more~ this might be my all time favorite Supreme Pizza.
The secret that takes this pizza to the next level really is making your own crust (it’s so easy ~ check out my notes below in my step-by-step). If you do not have time to make your own crust, just pick up some premade dough (hello my friend at Trader Joe’s – you can find 3 types in their fridge section next to the cheese).
DEEP DISH PIZZA SUPREME (Print It!)
- 1/3 Ultimate Pizza Dough Recipe or 1 store bought fresh pizza dough
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 25 turkey pepperoni slices, quartered
- 2 Jennie-O Lean Hot Italian Turkey Sausages, casings removed
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s Pizza Sauce
- Dashes of crushed red pepper flakes & oregano
- 6 oz part skim mozzarella, shredded
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped cherry tomatoes and green onion, optional
- Prepare the dough according to the directions. Spray a 7 x 11 or 9 x 9 baking dish with nonstick spray and add rolled out dough pressing it up the sides. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the mozzarella and set aside.
- Spray a large nonstick pan with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, pepperoni and sausage. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until sausage is cooked through. Drain any excess liquid and return mixture to the pan.
- Sprinkle the sausage mix with oregano and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir in 1/2 cup of sauce and pour over the pizza dough. Top with remaining mozzarella, parmesan and sprinkle with green onions/tomatoes if using.
- Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until the cheese it slightly golden on top. Remove and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing into 6 squares.
Makes 6 slices, 6 SmartPoints Each (excluding the vegetables)
Nutrition facts per slice calculated at caloriecount.com for one slice (including all vegetables):
STEP – BY – STEP:
I finally decided to brave making my own pizza dough and I have to say, why didn’t I try this sooner ~ dare I say it was easy?
I followed this Ultimate Pizza Recipe almost exactly, except I mixed in 2 tsp olive oil and used my kitchen aid to “knead” my dough for 2 minutes or until the dough mixed through clearing the flour off the bowl.
The end result was this dough ball.
After spending an hour in my oven (I set it to warm, then, turned it off before placing it in there), my dough ball was huge. I knocked it down and divided it into 2 small baseballs on my cookie sheet.
I placed a damp towel on top and put it back in the oven for another hour. I had not idea my dough balls would get so huge but there was definitely something so satisfying seeing that happen!
I froze one, placed on in a covered bowl in the fridge for later and used one for this recipe.
I pressed it into my small 7 x 11 baking dish and sprinkled with 1/3 of my mozzarella. Then I set it aside hoping it didn’t puff up all over again while I cooked the rest lol.
While the pan heated, I chopped my veggies and pepperoni.
I dumped everything in the pan along with the sausage bits and cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
Drain your mixture. If you do not do this step your pizza will be soggy. Return it to the same pan.
Sprinkle with oregano, crushed red pepper flakes and 1/2 cup pizza sauce.
Spread your sausage mix over the cheesy pizza dough.
Top with remaining cheese (mozzarella & parmesan). I added a little green onion and sweet cherry tomato to make my pizza “supreme”.
Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until the cheese is all golden on top.
This crust is seriously amazing – it stays crisp, yet, doughy and the toppers are awesome. Gooey layers of cheese, spicy sausage and pepperoni, earthy mushrooms, sweet onions, peppers and tangy roasted tomatoes in every bite.
Serve this deep dish decadence with a simple side salad tossed with balsamic and olive oil for one satisfying meal that only costs you 7 SmartPoints.
How do you all use your pizza dough? I definitely need ideas on what to do with my extra two delicious dough balls.