I have been on a quest to make the PERFECT Fresh Healthy Tomato Basil Soup that is not cream based ever since we had it one Christmas in Michigan at the 42nd parallel café. I LOVE fresh, hearty vegetable soups, but, often find most of them are cream based and high in fat. I always am disappointed when I hear that they add CREAM to my healthy soup since I am not a big fan of cream based soups. I am sure this soup is better in the summer,but, I couldn’t wait THAT long 😀
I really feel like adding sun dried tomatoes is the secret to this fabulous soup and a great addition to any meal to help you get in more veggies.
Fresh Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large red onion, diced
½ c chopped celery
½ c chopped carrot
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
4 cups whole roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 jar sun dried tomatoes, drained and rinsed
4 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth (you could use vegetable)
1 c picked basil leaves
Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes plus more for topping
1 Tbsp shaved parmesan plus additional sprinkles for topping, optional
1. In a large saucepan and a little olive oil, caramelize the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, and brown sugar.
2. Add the tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Season with salt & pepper.
3. Add the stock, simmer on low heat until very soft, at least 20 minutes. Add the basil and puree.
4. Add crushed red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese. Check for seasoning and enjoy!
Makes 6 1 1/2 cup servings
Nutritional information per serving:
1. Caramelize your onions through brown sugar.
You know they are slightly caramelized when you see them brown slightly.
2. While your vegetables are caramelizing, chop your tomatoes.
3. Add your tomatoes plus a little salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer.
Stir in your broth and allow to simmer for at least 20 minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
4. Stir in your basil.
5. Use your Cuisinart Smart Stick Hand Blender to puree your soup.
I LOVE THIS Hand Blender because it’s easy to use, powerful to puree, yet, not splash all over the place (like the cheaper versions) and you don’t need to pour your hot soup in a blender (spilling it along the way). It’s my FAVORITE go to gadget any time I am trying to make a creamy, rich pureed soup. You can find the one I use in My Open Sky Shop. (HINT ~ solve the Jigsaw puzzle on My Open Sky Tab and get 15% off your order) 😀
30 seconds later ~ tadah!!! Creamy, rich, CREAMLESS Fresh Tomato Basil Soup.
Add a little fresh parmesan and crushed red pepper flakes for good measure.
This soup definitely gets better the longer it sits and it freezes well too.