I knew that Grilled Pizza had to be a part of my Getting Feta Up Recipes because I fell IN LOVE with it back with Tracey of TJ’s Test Kitchen showed me how to make the easiest grilled pizza ever. Only this time, we mixed it up and went with some tasty new toppings ~ sausage & peppers!
For this Real Deal Feta Pizza, we decided to keep our toppings light by using low-fat mozzarella with a spicy Italian Turkey sausage. Instead of using the tradition peppers & onions, we went with 0 points+ Sweet Pickled Cherry Peppers and then added another layer of flavor by using thinly sliced sweet roma tomatoes with garlic olive oil & oregano for the “sauce”.
The feta added a nice salty, creamy finish to this melt in your mouth doughy, cheesy good for you pizza that NOBODY would guess is healthy! It is DEFINITELY one pizza worth going back for another slice or two.
GRILLED SAUSAGE, PEPPER & FETA PIZZA
- 16 oz Pre-Made Pizza Dough (I used Trader Joe’s)
- 2-3 Tbsp Flour for work surface
- 3-4 Tbsp Fine Cornmeal for the pizza peel
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 3 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 16 oz cherry peppers, drained & thinly sliced
- 2 links sweet or hot turkey Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 4 oz part skim reduced fat mozzarella
- 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees or prepare the grill. If baking pizza in the oven, place a pizza stone in the oven while it is preheating.
2. On a lightly floured work surface, press dough out to about a 12-inch circle. Sprinkle a pizza peel or baking sheet with cornmeal and transfer rolled-out dough to the peel/sheet.
3. Combine the olive oil and minced garlic. Brush the top of each with with the garlic/olive oil mixture and sprinkle with the oregano.
4. Layer up the toppings starting with the tomato slices, 1/2 the mozzarella, the sausage, peppers, remaining mozzarella and the feta cheese.
5.Transfer the pizza to the stone, holding the peel and shaking it to release the pizza onto the stone. Close the lid and grill about 8 minutes or until crust is lightly brown and cheese melts.
7. After it’s cooked, sprinkle the pizza with some fresh chopped basil (if using), slice & dig in!
Makes 10 slices, 6 points+ each
Nutritional information per slice
STEP – BY – STEP
I think the “secret” ingredient that really put this pizza over the top was using an entire jar of these Mezzetta Sweet Cherry Peppers.
They are not spicy at all so do not be afraid of the seeds. They have a nice sweet pepper taste with the tanginess of pepperoncini’s. Oh and it’ doesn’t hurt that they are 0 points+!
After letting your dough rise for “20 minutes” roll it out using your hands into a “pizza shape”. Pour a generous amount of cornmeal all over the pizza peel and add your pressed pizza dough.
Brush the crust with the garlic olive oil, sprinkle with oregano and layer up the tomato slices.
Top with the half of the low-fat mozzarella and all the sausage.
Add your secret ingredient ~ The Sweet Cherry Peppers!
Finish with remaining cheeses.
Shake your bootie to get it on the grill and cook for about 8 minutes until the crust is puffy and the cheese is melted.
Slice, then, watch it disappear!
HERE ARE THE OTHER EUPHRATES FETA – UP RECIPES:
Stay tuned tomorrow for the Feta Finale with Creamy Cinnamon Apple Won Ton Turn Overs & a few highlights of what I’ve been eating this week!