#FlashbackFriday It is super easy to make your own Pumpkin Butter. If you are a fall fanatic like me, then, Pumpkin Butter, Cinnamon, and Spice are all things that show up in your house during this time of year. I have put a new spin on the traditional pumpkin butter by replacing the white sugar with Organic Agave Nectar & a little pure maple syrup. The agave makes it so rich, thick and creamy that no pectin is required at all. I think you’ll find this version better than any jar you will ever open….The best part is your house will smell just like fall as you make this sweet treat.
HEALTHY PUMPKIN BUTTER (print it!)
- 15-oz can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup agave syrup or honey
- 1 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice*
- Pinch of salt
* You can make your own pumpkin pie type spice by combining 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg. You do not need to add cinnamon since it is already included above, however, if using this spice for another recipe, you would want to add 1 tsp ground cinnamon to the mix.
1. Combine the pumpkin, agave nectar, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a small saucepan over medium heat, mixing until well combined.
2. Stir constantly, cook for about 15 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in the spices and salt, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from heat, and transfer your pumpkin butter to a small bowl or jar. Let cool completely before covering and refrigerating.
4. Pumpkin butter will keep for about 2 weeks in a covered air tight container in the refrigerator.
NOTE: Continuously stirring is really important in this recipe to keep your pumpkin butter from burning. If you have to walk away, add a few tablespoons of apple juice and turn down the stove heat to low, still continuing to stir as you can. (Add about 5-7 minutes additional cooking time if you do this.)
Makes about 2 cups ~ 32 Tablespoons, 2 SmartPoints or 1 points+ per 2 Tablespoons!
Nutritional information per 2 Tbsp serving:
STEP – BY – STEP:
Here is everything you need to make your own pumpkin butter. You should always use the best ingredients (organic pumpkin) when you can for optimal flavor. Ok, well, the REAL pumpkin is just for decoration, but, you could get inventive and make your own from scratch pumpkin puree by following this Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter Recipe.
Super thick, creamy and pumpkin-Y!!! This pumpkin butter is awesome straight off the spoon, on bread, pita chips with laughing cow cheese or in your favorite baked goods. Once you make your own, you’ll never want to go back to the jarred stuff. Enjoy!
This year I am so anxious for fall weather and all that goes with this time of year. Since I am working at meeting some deadlines, I am sharing one recipe from my archives that I cannot wait to make this year just so I can make Banana Pumpkin Butter Muffins! I promise I have not forgot about you all. I will be sharing my Simply Filling Technique post and catching up on your comments/emails this weekend.