Outside of ice cream, I think cupcakes are my favorite sweet treat, especially when they are Mini! In my opinion it’s the best way to have literally “have your cake and eat it too” on Weight Watchers. Cupcakes are not only fun to eat but they offer up great portion control. You can also totally make these to have just one or two and give the rest to your friends who will love you.
I mean, what’s not to love about these little lemony cupcakes topped with the perfect amount fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting for only 6 Smartpoints each?! Ok, well, if you ask my “hip” friends they say these have the whole unicorn fantasy cupcake theme going on but I was unintentionally cool in doing that lol. I really just wanted to try out this swirly frosting technique I learned and it worked!
So, what are you waiting for – go make these, have a little “cake” and impress your friends with your stellar frosting skills!
LEMON VANILLA MINI CUPCAKES (print it!)
- 6 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp 1% milk
- Food coloring, optional – I used red, blue & yellow
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 24 cup mini muffin pan with liners.
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt then set aside. Beat together butter and sugar on medium high speed until fluffy and combined, about 4 minutes. Best in each egg one at a time until well blended. Blend in vanilla extract and lemon zest. With the mixer on lower, alternate adding the 1/2 the flour with 1/2 the milk beating after each addition until well combined.
3. Fill each muffin cup about 2/3’s full and bake until golden and they spring back when touched, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes before placing on cooling rack to cool completely.
4. To make frosting, combine butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes until combined. Add milk and beat one additional minute.
5. Divide frosting into 3 bowls and add 4 drops food coloring to make blue, pink and yellow. Scoop 1/3 of each frosting color into piping bag and get excited as you pipe swirly colored frosting on to your cupcakes.
Dig in and enjoy! If you have any leftover, store in an air tight container.
Makes 24 mini muffins, 6 Smartpoints each
Nutrition facts per mini muffin (based on 25 as you will have a little extra):