As everyone is getting ready to head back to school, I started thinking about quick breakfast and grab – n – go snacks. This week’s #FlashBackFriday is all about my favorite 1 Smartpoints mini kale quiche muffins.
Happy Sunday all! Last night I made up two batches of tasty Mini Muffins for everyone at my Weight Watchers meeting to celebrate Valentine’s Day. The first was a new recipe I tried out for Mini Kale Parmesan Quiches. I know this is going to sound funny, but, I wasn’t sure how they would turn out when I was making them. Would the Kale make them too funky or would it make them delicious? I’ve also never “technically” made a quiche before so there was that element too.
My first bite was like ~ hey wow! These actually DO taste like little quiches…then, my second bite was like omg, these are so good. These little muffins are moist with hints of sweet onion, kale and basil while the olive oil/parmesan makes the edges crispy like a decadent quiche. The one thing I love….at only 1 points+ each you can definitely afford to indulge a little bit and have more!
One question I get often from all of you is how do you break down a recipe to know whether or not it is Simply Filling. This recipe is perfect for showing you all just how to do it:
- 1st: Check off all the power foods you see: kale, onion, basil, eggs, fat free milk, olive oil (because when divided over the number of servings, it doesn’t even come close to the 2 tsp. allowed)
- 2nd: Check off all the ingredients that do not add any points+: baking powder, hot sauce, sea salt and black pepper
- 3rd: Take all the ingredients that add points and total them.
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour = 6 points+
- 3 oz. parmesan = 9 points+
- Total points+ in the recipe for non-simply filling foods = 15/48 servings = .3 per muffin.
- Translation ~ it takes 3-4 of these to equal 1 WPA on the Simply Filling Plan (deal!)
Does that help you all out?
MINI KALE & PARMESAN QUICHES (print it!)
- 2 heaping cups kale, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, diced
- 3 oz. parmesan, shredded
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup fat free milk
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- A few dashes of hot sauce
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 and generously coat a 24 cup mini muffin tin with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, making sure to mix thoroughly. The batter will appear thick, but, do not worry as the water in the veggies helps to thin it out a bit as it cooks. Use a 1 inch cookie scoop or 1 tablespoon measuring spoon to fill each muffin cup about 3/4 of the way full.
3. Bake for 17 minutes or until the quiches are cooked through and slightly golden. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely and repeat for the second batch.
Makes 48 mini quiches, 1 Smartpoint, 1 points+ each or (3 quiches on Simply Filling = 1 WPA).
Nutritional information per mini quiche calculated at caloriecount.com
Breakfast included 3 Mini Kale Parmesan Quiches and one of my Strawberry Blueberry Muffins. I used this strawberry muffin recipe using fresh strawberries and 1 cup frozen blueberries for extra berry goodness. Seriously the best way to enjoy the meeting ~ served up with piping hot coffee.
(SF + 2 WPA) – or 4 points+
Later in the morning, The Husband and I grabbed Starbuck’s before he headed off to help out one of our neighbors.
Grande Iced Nonfat Latte with caramel drizzle (SF) or 2 points+
One of my good friends is totally addicted to this Cooking Light Chili Glazed Shrimp recipe. She has honestly sent me the recipe for like 7 years and keeps telling me to try it as it cures her Chinese food craving every time.
Guess what? Today, I finally did and wow ~ not only was it super easy, it might just be better than one you could get in a restaurant.
Start to finish lunch took 15 minutes to make. I halved the recipe since I was just making it for me.
Heat 2 tsp. sesame oil over medium high heat. Add 1 large minced garlic clove with 9 oz. shrimp (I butterflied mine). Cook 2 minutes.
Note: you could use 1 tsp. sesame oil, 1 tsp. olive oil if you want less sesame flavor.
Then, pour this super simple chili glaze (1 Tbsp. soy sauce, 1 Tbsp. honey, 1 tsp. sriracha, 1/4 cup diced green onions) on top.
Cook for 3 minutes until the shrimp are cooked through and “glazed”.
Honestly, I could’ve licked the pan clean this sauce was so good. I am totally doubling the sauce next time so I have plenty to pour over rice. I do think it would work great with any meat too.
It was really hard to only eat half the shrimp too ~ I wanted it all!
In another pan, I whipped up a batch of my Simply Filling Veggie Fried Rice to go with my sweet and spicy shrimp.
Amazing….really! Not sure why it took me 7 years to try it. (SF + 1 WPA) 10 points+
I spent the afternoon hammering out our taxes and watching movies. I am proud of the fact that The Husband worked late and I snacked on this plus a banana keeping away from the temptations in the kitchen. (SF) – 1 points+
Another one of our friends mentioned Monsoon Burgers this morning to The Husband so all day long he thought about them. His plate ~ Bacon Cheeseburger with fries!
I went to a burger place and made a healthy Turkey Burger Salad!
I treated myself to AVOCADO and real deal pepper jack cheese on top of my grilled turkey burger.
Then, I used the burger fixin’s bar to make a salad with two types of lettuce, tomato slices, pickled red onions and jalapenos.
Served up with a side of carrot fries topped with their spicy house topper ~ it makes them Cajun lime style.
You know what ~ it was so good, I do not feel like I missed out at all ~ success!
(SF + 5 WPA) or 9 points+
Here are my stats today:
- Simple Filling (SF): 8 WPA (Weekly Points Allowance) used, 49 WPA remaining
- 26 Daily Points+ 0 WPA used, 49 WPA remaining
- My FitBit Dashboard:
I am so glad for holidays and having one more day this weekend. It will be even better when my cold is finally gone, lungs healed and I can get back to working out (I can’t believe I am going to say I miss it!)