Do you ever just have a crazy craving for something spicy, crunchy and salty that gets your hands all messy while you eat it? Sometimes you just have to have FULLY LOADED Nachos that come with ALL the fixin’s (said with an accent for my southern friends :D. These nachos come with just about every topping you can imagine and without all the fat you’d get if you had them at the ball park. Whip up a batch of these for the Super Bowl and I bet nobody will know they are healthy!
As requested…here is the recipe that I raved about this weekend! Enjoy!
TACO BEAN FILLING (you only use 1/3 of it for this recipe)
1 lb 95% Lean Ground Beef, turkey, chicken or Veggie Crumbles
1 small red onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
15 oz can Organic Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
15 oz can Organic Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
1 packet Taco or Chili Seasoning (you can always make your own)
¼ c water
½ bag Tostitos Baked Scoops
½ c finely shredded low-fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese
¼ c chopped tomatoes
2 green onions, sliced
Your FAVORITE salsa or make your own
~ 2 Tbsp Guacamole (store bought or make your own)
BIG DALLOP of 0% Greek Yogurt~ 2 Tbsp (creamier & tastier than sour cream)
1.Spray a large cooking pan with nonstick cooking spray and add ground beef, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook until browned, approximately 8-10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place tortilla chips on a cookie sheet and bake for approximately 3-4 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
**If you are making your own taco seasoning, guacamole and/or salsa, then, work on that while the meat cooks.
3. Add diced tomatoes, beans, taco seasoning and water to meat mixture. Stir to combine and cook an additional 3-4 minutes until liquid evaporates.
4. LAYER IT UP!! Start with your tortilla chips, then add your meat mixture and cheese. Place back in oven for 3-4 minutes to melt cheese. Remove and add all the desired toppings. Get creative and add whatever sounds fun. I have included all the things I used above.
Makes 4 servings, 8 points+ using ground beef including ALL toppings listed above 😀
Nutritional information for ¼ of the BOWL:
Calories 331.0 , Total Fat 9.9 g, Saturated Fat 3.2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0.5 g, Cholesterol 36.9 mg, Sodium 931.3 mg, Potassium 231.9 mg, Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g, Dietary Fiber 6.3 g, Sugars 2.5 g, Protein 23.2 g
**I think this would be AWESOME served over toasted crispy potatoes wedges or polenta or with your own homemade tortilla chips!
1. Brown your meat with garlic, onions and bell pepper.
I usually make my own taco seasoning, but, I was intrigued when I saw that Trader Joe’s now sells it.
TJ’s rarely disappoints – great stats and REAL ingredients you can recognize! I think their mix is pretty tasty – I LIKED the Smokey flavors and the HEAT it brings to your food.
2. Add the diced tomatoes with green chilis, beans, water and taco seasoning to your meat mixture.
3. Stir to combine and simmer down for 3-4 minutes.
* While the meat cooks, whip up your guacamole. I cheated and massed an avocado, plus tomato and salsa for a fast guacamole.
* Brown your chips in the oven for a few minutes at 400. NOTE – I toasted the entire bag and used half. Toasting your chips in the oven brings out their corny 😀 flavor and makes them taste restaurant style.
4. Layer it up! Start with your chips, then, 1/3 of your meat mixture. Add your cheese and bake for 3 minutes until it melts. (This is my HUGE PASTA bowl I am serving them on)
Plus all the toppings that sound good to you.
Since my mixture was already pretty spicy, I served my salsa on the side.
Scoop your portion onto a plate and ENJOY every crunchy spicy bite!