I love pretty much every single thing about Mexican food ~ the crunchy, salty chips, spicy salsa, creamy pinto beans, melted cheese, sweet corn cake and perfectly season taco meat that just melts into your mouth. This Simply Filling Turkey, Bean, and Corn recipe takes all of the things I love about Mexican food and puts them into one perfect bite. It is delicious eaten straight up off the spoon, over taco salads, on tacos, nachos” or even better ~ crunchy, light tostada shells.
The “Secret” ingredients that make this recipe amazing ~ Making your own taco season and using salsa you love to eat all by itself.
Did I mention that it is easy to make, takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish and freezes well in individual portions for any time you need a quick grab and go meal.
TURKEY, BEAN & CORN TOSTADAS (print it!)
- 1 lb Lean Ground Turkey
- 3 Tbsp Taco Seasoning (I make my own – it’s easy and better than any package!)
- 15 oz Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Diced Chilis (from Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 cup Salsa (I used Trader Joe’s Salsa Fresca)
- 1 cup fire roasted or regular corn
- Pre-Cooked Corn Tostada Shells
- TOPPINGS ~ Pick and Choose any of your favorite things: Low-Fat Cheddar Cheese, lettuce, sweet peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes, AVOCADOS, sour cream, etc.
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add ground turkey. Cook turkey until browned, breaking it into pieces as it cooks, about 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and cook 1 minute. Meanwhile, prep all your toppings.
2. Stir in beans, diced tomatoes and salsa. Cook for 5 minutes or until majority of the sauce evaporates.
3. Layer it up and “Crunch Away”!
Turkey & Bean Mixture ~ Makes twenty-four, 1/4 cups servings, 1 points+ each & it’s 100% Simply Filling!
Nutritional Information per serving using caloriecount.com
Brown the ground turkey. Add taco seasoning, beans and diced tomatoes.
Salsa ~ that’s the GREEN ~ looks ugly, but, tastes awesome!
The “Secret Ingredient” Fire Roasted Corn ~ The Husband even gave the OK to use it
While the meat cooked, I prepped the toppings.
You do not have to do anything with these tortillas but I heated them at 325 for 4 minutes to make them warm, toasty and to make the “corni-ness” pop out.
LAYER IT UP! I used my 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop out 1 portion on each shell.
Then, topped each 1/2 with 1/2 Tbsp Finely Shredded LF Sharp Cheddar.
Organic Mixed Greens and another sprinkle of cheese, about 1/2 tsp per side.
Tomatoes, mini sweet peppers, jalapeno and AVOCADO!
I started off with TWO tostadas and then assessed if I was still hungry or if my mouth wanted more. After about 5 minutes, I went back for another for both reasons
I LOVE these shells ~ they stay crunchy and taste like you are having really good corn tortilla chips.
THREE for 3 points+!
Here is the points+ breakdown for all 3 Tostadas:
* 3 Corn Tostada Shells, (SF+ 3 WPA) 3 points+
* 3/4 cup Turkey & Bean Taco Mix, (SF) 3 points+
* 1/2 ounce LF Sharp Cheddar Cheese, (SF) 1 Points+
* Mixed greens, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno, (SF) 0 Points+
* 1/8 AVOCADO, (SF+ 1 WPA) 1 Points+
THREE FANTASTIC TASTY TURKEY & BEAN TOSTADAS FOR SF + 4 WPA or 8 POINTS+
Speaking of Tortillas ~ What is your favorite brand of tortilla? Are you a corn or flour girl?
I LOVE Guerrero and Mission Extra Thin Tortillas the best ~ Corn all the way. I am not much of a fan of the lower points+ versions although at times I do convince myself to eat them. I have to say these crunchy tostada shells are going on my always have on hand list.