#Flashback Friday I grew up thinking my mom was weird every single time I saw her eating green soup. Not just any soup, but, green pea soup. Who knew as an adult, once I had my first bite of that funky mystery green soup at Split Pea Andersen’s that my mother could not convince me to try, I’d be hooked.
Split Pea Soup was one of the first soup recipes I attempted making when I was in college. There is something so incredibly delicious about the way the smoky ham bone makes the creamy split peas taste like bacon. This soup is naturally velvety in texture from the split peas, but, the carrots, celery and fresh, sweet green peas add a nice crunch.
This recipe is a spin I’ve taken by combining one of my all time favorite Crockpot Split Pea Soup Recipes made with Kielbasa! and a new recipe for Two- Pea Soup from my Weight Watchers I Love Leftovers Cookbook. I lightened up this version by using ham from the shank, however, you can easily make this soup VEGAN by omitting the ham bone and adding 2 tsp of liquid smoke for that smoky kick.
Whatever route you go, be sure to add in the fresh green peas. They add a whole other layer of flavor, texture and sweetness making this green soup one I guarantee you will want to eat over and over again.
SLOW COOKER SPLIT PEA & HAM SOUP (print it!)
- 16 oz yellow split peas
- 1 smoked ham hock or shank
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 6 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 8 cups of reduced or no sodium chicken broth or water
- 20 oz frozen green peas
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
Note: I provided instructions below so you can cook this all day in your slow cooker or cook it in an hour or two on your stove top.
1. Spray a large 6 quart slow cooker with nonstick spray. Combine the split peas through the broth in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours or until peas are tender.
2. 10 minutes prior to serving, remove the bay leaves, add the froze peas, ham from the shank (diced) and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. STOVE TOP: Combine all the ingredients in a large soup pan over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and continue cooking over medium low for 1 hour or until the peas are tender. 10 minutes prior to serving, remove the bay leaves, add the froze peas, ham from the shank (diced) and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes 10 heaping 1 1/2 cup servings, 1 WWFreestyle Smartpoint, 5 points+ each, 100% Simply Filling
Nutritional information per serving for all ingredients:
This soup freezes well so be sure to put a few single serving containers in the freezer for nights when you do not feel like cooking.