This is by far one of my FAVORITE recipes. How can you not LOVE coming home to tasty baked burritos that are topped with enchilada sauce and stuffed with lean ground turkey breast, brown rice, beans, fire roasted garlic diced tomatoes, zucchini, tortillas and CHEESE!
I wish I could take credit for this FANTASTIC idea, however, this recipe has been adapted from a Weight Watchers Cookbook called Slow Cook It! I spiced it up a bit, added a little garlic and fire roasted diced tomatoes for their smoky flavor.
I served mine on a salad so it became a Turkey & Bean Burrito Bake Salad with all the fixin’s ~ the result was AWESOME! This tastes even better the next day.
Get creative and add your favorite veggies to mix it up. I imagine this would work fantastic with veggie crumbles, ground beef, chicken, pork, etc. Enjoy!
SLOW COOKER TURKEY & BEAN BURRITO BAKE (print it here)
Source: Weight Watchers Slow Cook It!
- 1 lb lean ground turkey breast
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Taco Seasoning (HOMEMADE, Mrs. Dashes Chipolte Lime or Chili Powder)
- 14 ½ oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 10 oz good quality enchilada sauce
- 1/3 c salsa
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (I used Trader Joe’s Organic Frozen Brown Rice)
- 1-2 zucchinis, quartered and chopped
- 15 oz canned kidney, pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 small corn tortillas
- 1 ½ cups shredded low fat sharp cheddar cheese
** I did not add corn, but, I think it would be a FANTASTIC addition.
- Serve on a bed of romaine lettuce
- Tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, AVOCADO, Sour Cream/Greek Yogurt, Additional Salsa
1. Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add turkey, onion and garlic; cook, cook, breaking turkey apart with wooden spoon, until turkey is no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in taco seasoning and remove from heat.
2. Spray your slow cooking with nonstick cooking spray (I used my 3 quart slow cooker and filled it to the brim.) Combine tomatoes, enchilada sauce, and 1/3 cup salsa in a medium bowl. Spread ½ cup tomato mixture over bottom of the slow cooker. Top with 2 tortillas, tearing on of the tortillas in half so that the tortillas cover tomato mixture. Top evenly with half of turkey mixture, half of rice, and with half of beans and ½ cup cheese. Repeat with 2 tortillas, remaining turkey mixture, rice, and zucchini, 1 cup tomato mixture, remaining beans, and ½ cup cheese. Top with remaining 2 tortillas and spread with remaining tomato mixture.
3. Cover and cook until hot and bubbling at edges, 2 ½ – 3 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low. Sprinkle burrito bake with remaining ½ cup cheese. Cover and let stand until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
4. Serve on top of lettuce with all your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Makes 6 servings, 1 ½ cups each, 8 points+ per serving
Nutritional information per serving (1 ½ cups burrito bake), excluding toppings:
341 calories, 7 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 53 mg cholesterol, 956 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrates, 10 g fiber, 28 g protein
I hope you enjoyed this recipe from the archives. It is total FALL comfort food that requires little to no cooking ~ simply chop a few veggies or serve it straight up and you are good to go.
I will catch up with you all later. The Husband surprised me with date night tonight and we just got back from seeing 50/50. It is really good ~ there are some seriously funny parts and sad parts, but, you leave really appreciating all the friends and family you have in your life.
Off to catch some zzzzzz’s! Night all!