Hi everyone! I am back today with my low Smartpoints Simply Filling Soup recipe I teased you all with earlier this month. It’s a little spicy, smoky and sweet, this Southwestern Chicken & Vegetable soup will satisfy your Mexican food cravings in minutes. The smoky chipotle pepper and taco seasoning add a nice spice to the chicken and veggies while the corn adds a sweet pop. What takes this soup to the next level is finishing it with tangy lime and cilantro. The avocado will cool your mouth off but feel free to add any of your favorite toppers – fresh veggies, salsa, sour cream, tortilla chips. The options are endless.
This soup works well for lunch or dinner and freezes well.
SOUTHWESTERN CHICKEN & VEGETABLE SOUP (print it!)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 summer squash, quartered and diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 chipotle in adobo, minced
- 1 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning
- 14 1/2 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chillies
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced (optional)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook 4-5 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper, summer squash, jalapeno, garlic and taco seasoning. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, chipotle, corn and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are slightly softened.
- Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and lime juice. Scoop in a big soup bowl and top with avocado slices. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Enjoy!
Makes 6 heaping 1 1/2 cup servings, 100% Simply Filling or 4 Smartpoints (includes avocado)
Nutritional information per serving:
STEP- BY – STEP:
Heat olive oil in a large soup pan over medium heat. Add chicken and brown slightly for 4-5 minutes.
Chop all your veggies while the chicken cooks.
My two favorite ingredients – sweet corn (Frozen or fresh) and a spicy, smoky chipotle pepper. I never use a whole can of chipotle do I freeze them and cut off a pieces as needed.
Add veggies plus taco seasoning, cook for 2 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes, corn, Chipotle and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes until everything is cooked through.
Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and lime juice.
Scoop into big bowls and add avocado. I added fresh homemade salsa and sweet peppers (instead of tortillas) for crunch.
Sorry I made you all wait so long for the recipe – but I promise this soup is worth the wait 🙂