I am not sure what it is, but, lately all I can think about is how much I want a big bowl of Pad Thai or Spicy Peanutty Noodles. I mean, what is not to love about mounds of chewy, gooey noodles that are coated with peanuts, peanut butter, juicy chicken with hints of lime & rice vinegar, crunchy veggies, jalapeno, cilantro and sweet chili sauce.
I know I could go out and buy the real deal at any of the local Thai places in Northern California. I am just not willing to spend 10+ points to have 1/3 of the dish when I know I can make a delicious version at home and eat the ENTIRE bowl for less points+!
I have tried several ways to lighten up Pad Thai in the past by using butternut squash and Sritaki Noodles, but, it just wasn’t the same ~ it tasted, well “healthy”. My last attempt was made during my Vegan & Gluten Free Adventures and it was delicious, although, “point-y”.
This time around, I decided to get smart about my approach by bulking up my bowl with a whole lotta crunch and color! I was able to cut my noodle ratio in half and up the “crunch factor” by adding in a whole bag of fresh bean sprouts, carrots, red cabbage and sweet red bell pepper. This recipe is definitely all about that sweet, spicy, creamy peanut sauce as it coats everything in a way that makes you want to keep going back for more……bite after bite!
SPICY PEANUT NOODLES WITH CHICKEN (print it!)
- 8oz bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 7 oz rice noodles
- 1 lb cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp Sriracha hot sauce
- 2 1/2 Tbsp cashews, roughly chopped
1. Prepare the rice noodles according to the packaged directions.
2. While the noodles cook, chop the chicken and vegetables placing them in a large mixing bowl.
3. Prepare the spicy peanut sauce by combining the peanut butter, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar and sriracha in a blender. Blend for 30 seconds or until mixture is creamy. It will be thick and that is ok.
4. Add the noodles to the vegetable chicken bowl and pour the peanut sauce over the top. Divide into 6 bowls and top with chopped cashews. Dig in!
Makes 6, heaping 1 cup servings, 7 points+ each
Nutritional information per serving calculated at caloriecount.com
STEP – BY – STEP
While the rice noodles cook, prepare the veggies by chopping them and placing them in a large mixing bowl.
This recipe is perfect for leftover chicken and it also gives you a reason to fire up your grill to cook some. Feel free to use any protein you like (tofu, shrimp, chicken-less chicken, etc.) If you omit the chicken, then the recipe is only 5 points+ per serving.
Next, give your sauce a whirl. I prefer to use a blender to make sure everything gets chopped and helps you avoid getting chunks of raw ginger or garlic. Feel free to add more heat too (sriracha, crushed red pepper flakes, jalapeno !)
Add the noodles to the veggie mix…..
Then, the chopped chicken or protein you are using…..
Finishing with the spicy, creamy peanut sauce.
Toss well to coat everything with that sweet and spicy peanut sauce.
Fill up a 1 cup bowl and top with cashews.
These Spicy Peanut Noodles are so dang good I have no doubt that your bowl might just be tempted to run off with them…..