This eggy casserole has all of my favorite things. Eggs (I know – surprise!), cheese X’s two, corn tortillas, sweet, roasted red peppers all tied together with a rich basil & garlic pesto. It reminds me a bit of a margarita pizza for breakfast and who doesn’t love that?! It’s an added bonus that it happens to be a Weight Watchers friendly breakfast recipe that is gluten free and vegetarian too.
Enjoy it for breakfast – hot or cold, or serve it up with a big salad to make a complete lunch or dinner.
You could save on points by cutting smaller pieces (9 squares at 3 Smartpoints each), but, trust me, this casserole is so good you’ll want a big piece!
Below is my healthy spin on this recipe.
TORTILLA, PEPPER & EGG CASSEROLE (print it!)INGREDIENTS:
- 10 Mission Extra Thin Yellow Corn Tortillas, thinly sliced
- 12 oz jar Trader Joe’s roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- 4 oz Trader Joe’s Lite shredded Mozzarella
- 1 oz parmesan, shredded
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups 1% Milk
- 3 Tbsp Barilla Pesto Sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Spray a 9 inch square with nonstick spray. Combine tortillas, peppers and cheeses. Place in casserole dish.
- Whisk eggs, milk, pesto, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Pour over tortilla mix, cover with foil and chill one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375. Bake with foil on for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until golden and eggs are set. Cool 5 minutes, slice into 6 squares and enjoy!
Makes 6 squares, 5 Smartpoints each
Nutrition facts per serving with all ingredients:
Ready to go in the oven.All baked & golden straight out of the oven.Dine in or take it to go – The breakfast I took to The Husband with Starbucks. He was super happy.I spent the morning on the phone and actually couldn’t wait to get on the treadmill. Today’s activity was a 55 minutes power walk.
My afternoon was research and whipping up these awesome Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Shells. I’m not sure why I haven’t made these sooner.
Today’s eats were so satisfying and spot on my Daily Target.
Daily Snap Recap:B: 1 Svg Tortilla, Pepper & Egg Casserole (5 sp), 1/2 mango
S: Tall Nonfat Cappuccino with caramel on top (2 sp), 1 Tbsp pistachios (1 sp)
L: Leftover Taco Soup topped with 1 package Doritos, 1/4 cup Trader Joe’s Lite shredded Mexican cheese, tomato, cilantro & 2 Tbsp 0% Greek Yogurt (6 sp), Clementine
D: 2 Cheesy Stuffed Shells (8 sp), Tossed Salad w apple cider vinegar & evoo (1 sp)
23 Daily WWFreestyle Smartpoints, 12K steps