One of my favorite things in life is cheese and I love finding reasons to eat it. This Turkey Quesadilla Casserole is packed with layers of cheese, soft flour tortillas and saucy filling. Simply whip up your taco filling, add a few extras to the mix, layer it up, bake it all together and you’ll have one deliciously healthy dish that will warm you up on a cool fall day.
For my Vegetarian friends, you can sub veggie crumbles or sweet potatoes for the turkey. You get 8 large slices for 9 Weight Watchers Smartpoints. You “could” save 1 Smartpoint a serving by using only 2 cups of cheese, but, why would you lol.
TURKEY QUESADILLA CASSEROLE (print it!)INGREDIENTS:
- 1 lb 93% ground turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 Tbsp homemade or store bought taco seasoning
- 15 oz pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz diced fire roasted tomatoes with green chillies
- 4 oz diced green chillies
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup corn
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 6 La Tortilla Smart & Delicious Light Flour Tortillas
- 3 cups Trader Joe’s Lite shredded Mexican Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add turkey, onion, bell and garlic. Cook until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and return to pan.
- Add taco seasoning, beans, diced tomatoes, green chillies, corn and tomato sauce. Stir to combine and continue cooking for about 5 minutes until mixture slightly thickens. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and set aside.
- Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with nonstick spray. Layer it up starting with two tortillas, 1/3 of the turkey mixture then 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat finishing the top with turkey mix and cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 20 – 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbling. Cool for 5 minutes, slice into 8 sections and enjoy!
Makes 8 servings, 9 SmartPoints each
Nutrition facts per serving (including veggies):
STEP – BY – STEP:
Brown turkey and vegetables in a large saute pan then sprinkle with taco seasoning.Add beans, diced tomatoes, green chilies, corn and tomato sauce. Stir to combine.Simmer for 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and set aside.
If you’d like to spice it up then add a 1/2 tsp sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes.Spray a 9×13 Casserole dish with nonstick spray and add 2 tortillas. No need to slice them.Add 1/3 of the turkey mixture and cheese. Repeat finishing with the turkey mix then cheese.Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes until cheese it melted and the casserole is bubbling. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
This is a super busy week but I hope to catch up with you all later today.
Have a great day all!