Yesterday I woke up determined to make Zucchini Bread or Zucchini Muffins. I browsed for ideas of recipes I’ve already made like these Zucchini Banana Muffins, but, I really wanted something different. I knew I wanted a super moist muffin with a nutty crunch and a little chewy tanginess.
As I browsed my pantry, I realized that I was missing probably the most important ingredient to make these Zucchini Nut Mini Muffins ~ Zucchini!!! Logic would say, just make a different muffin ~ you have bananas, lemons, berries, etc.
The thing is, I had a craving and nothing else would be the same ~ lol ~ Do you all ever get like that??
It was definitely worth the trip to Trader Joe’s to stock up on zucchini. These healthy zucchini nut muffins hit every single craving with cinnamon-y spice, nutty roasted walnuts, tangy chewy dried cranberries and hints of lemon.
Did I mention I even managed to get The Husband to try them?! He would only do it after I promised him you do not taste the zucchini and that it only makes these muffins super moist and delicious. He totally went back for more when I wasn’t looking lol….
ZUCCHINI NUT MINI MUFFINS WITH CRANBERRIES (print it!)
- 3 cups zucchini, grated (about 2 medium zucchinis)
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup walnuts & , chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 24 cup mini muffin pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
2. In a small bowl whisk together the butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Place grated zucchini and lemon in a large bowl and pour the sugar mixture over zucchini. Mix in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in walnuts and cranberries.
3. Fill the mini muffin cups and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until muffins bounce back to the touch. Cool on a cooling rack.
Makes 50 mini muffins, 2 points+ each
Nutritional Information per mini muffin calculated at caloriecount.com
STEP – BY – STEP
In a large mixing bowl, add the grated zucchini and lemon zest. Set aside.
Whisk together the eggs, butter, vanilla and the two sugars.
Pour over the zucchini mixture.
Stir to combine.
Add the dry ingredients ~ I know, I broke all the “rules” by not mixing them first before I added them to my wet ingredients….it’s ok, the muffins still turn our fantastic even when you do not want to dirty another dish
Fold in chopped walnuts and cranberries.
Just until combined.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes and cool on a cooling rack.
I LOVE the color of the zucchini and cranberries probably almost as much as having a walnuts and cranberries in every bite.
I served up 3 mini muffins with a fruit bowl for 6 points+ ~ Deal!
Happy Sunday all!