I LOVE citrus desserts because they seem so refreshing and light after a heavy meal. Key Lime pie is one of my favorites because you get the smooth creamy filling with an awesome cinnamon graham pie crust. I have reduced the fat and sugar by using fat free milk and egg substitute without giving up the creamy texture or flavor. If you want your pie to look green vs yellow, use liquid egg whites instead of substitute.
EASY & HEALTHY KEY LIME PIE
1 prepared low-fat graham cracker pie crust or make your own healthy version
14 oz fat-free sweetened condensed milk
8 oz fat-free egg substitute or liquid egg whites**
1/4-1/2 cup fresh lime juice, from “key” or regular limes (about 2-3 limes), depending on desired tartness
1-2 tsp freshly grated lime zest
Whipped Cream for topping, optional
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF. Place graham cracker crust on a baking sheet; set aside.
2. Whisk together condensed milk, egg substitute and lime juice. Add lime zest and pour mixture into crust.
3. Bake until center looks set but still slightly quivery, like gelatin, about 15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
4. Transfer to refrigerator and chill completely, about 1 to 2 hours.
Cut into 10 slices and serve with whipped cream if desired.
5 Points+ Per Serving (using a prepared crust and excluding whipped topping)
Nutritional Information Per Serving (using a prepared crust and excluding whipped topping):
Calories 197.1, Total Fat 2.8 g, Saturated Fat 0.4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1.2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g, Cholesterol 83.2 mg, Sodium 106.2 mg, Potassium 102.2 mg, Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g, Dietary Fiber 0.4 g, Sugars 29.2 g, Protein 6.3 g
1. Did you all know it only takes 4 things to make an AMAZING and HEALTHY Key Lime Pie?
2. Combine your condensed milk with your lime juice.
3. Add in the egg substitute and whisk everything together
**NOTE ~ Use Egg whites if you want your pie to look green and add green food coloring if needed.
4. Zest your lime using the super cute mini grater that Santa gave you for Christmas 😀
5. Add the lime zest to your lime pie filling.
6. Pour pie filling into your prepared graham cracker crust.
7. Bake at 325 for about 15-20 minutes until center is slightly firm and jiggles like gelatin.
8. Cool and resist digging in until AFTER dinner 🙂
You can find the rest of the Healthy Holiday Series below.
Part 1: Simple Glazed Ham with Pineapple
Part 2: Au Gratin Potatoes
Do you all like the idea of the healthy holiday series? I thought it would be fun to mix things up a bit and share the fun healthy recipes I tried out over Christmas I love knowing that the holidays can be made healthy with a few things to be enjoyed (in moderation of course). I would love to hear your feedback so I know if I should bombard you all on future holidays :D.
No worries though, I will begin posting my eats again soon and tomorrow I will be back with some great uses for all those leftovers.