Because sometimes in life, you need a little chocolate #FlashbackFriday
You all are awesome and I love the fact that you all love toffee as much as I do. I can admit that caramel is probably one of my favorite things in this world. It really is ~ I don’t discriminate….It can be chewy, it can be hard, it can be salted or topped with chocolate. But, when, you add two types of chocolate then top it with roasted, sea salted almonds, it is a whole other ball game!
Every Christmas we have these friends who make this incredible almond rocha type toffee. I would often ask for the recipe, she would tell me it’s so easy, but, she never gave it up. After eating like her entire dish of candy (no really ~ it’s that good) for a few years, she let me in on her “secret’ to the BEST toffee I’ve ever had in my life and of course, the recipe!
The “SECRET” is making sure you add a little chocolate into the toffee when you make. Think SKOR bar like toffee!
I added my personal touch to the recipe by replacing the ”shortening” with real butter and adding dry roasted, sea salted almonds because I really think salt brings out the flavor in chocolate and toffee.
Since I know I can eat an ENTIRE pan of this melt in your mouth chocolate covered toffee, I only make it around the holidays or when I am giving it to someone as a gift.
For all my Weight Watcher friends out there, you will love knowing that you can fit this into your plan without killing your points budget……just make sure you share too!
CHOCOLATE BUTTER TOFFEE WITH SEA SALTED ALMONDS
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 Tbsp Dark Corn Syrup
- 20 chocolate chips
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup dry roasted, salted almonds, chopped
1. Prepare a large cookie sheet or 9 x 12 pan with parchment paper.
2. Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add sugar, corn syrup and 20 chocolate chips. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally until boiling and the temperature reaches 280 – 290 degrees.
3. Pour toffee mixture over prepared dish and allow to cool for about 30 minutes.
4. Melt dark and milk chocolate chips with butter in a double broiler. Pour melted chocolate over toffee and sprinkle with chopped almonds.
5. Cool in the fridge for 1 hour and cut/break into 36 pieces.
Makes 36 Chocolate Butter Toffee Almond “chunks” for 7 Smartpoints or 4 points+ each.
Nutritional information per piece
STEP – BY – STEP
Make your toffee by combining the butter, sugar, corn syrup and chocolate and boiling over medium heat until your candy thermometer reaches 280-290 degrees.
My personal preference is 280-290 (soft crack) versus 300 (hard crack) because it really makes the toffee melt in your mouth when you bite into it.
Pour onto parchment paper in a thin layer and allow to cool.
Melt remaining chocolate and butter in a double broiler over medium low heat.
If you would like your chocolate thinner, you could add additional butter.
Chop your almonds while the chocolate melts.
Top toffee with melted chocolate and sea salted almonds. Cool in the fridge for 1 hour.
Cut into 36 small pieces. Store in an air tight container in the fridge or freezer.
Just make sure you bring some by our house because I want just a piece or two whenever you make it ~ Enjoy!