While strolling the super market this weekend, The Husband kept eyeing cinnamon rolls. I told him that I could make him a healthy, low point, Weight Watchers friendly homemade cinnamon roll any day that would taste better than anything we’d buy. The only thing is I’ve only made cinnamon rolls like twice in my life and one of those times was in 4-H!
To keep my promise, I researched and learned a lot about yeast and oven proofing. I am a huge fan of Instant Rise yeast (it only takes 1 hour and 1 rise). These rolls were my first attempt at oven proofing and I have to say it works. I giggled like a little school girl when I opened the oven after my 20 minutes of rise time to see my rolls getting bigger. These two short cuts might be what I use now anytime I want to make yeasty, homemade dough in under an hour.
These rolls are amazing – Light, doughy, buttery cinnamon rolls that melt in your mouth just like the creamy icing on top. Just make sure you have enough people around to help you eat these delicious bites as it might be hard to stop at one.
CINNAMON ROLLS (Print it!)INGREDIENTS:
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp golden brown sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp 1% milk
- To make the dough: mix the flour, sugar, salt and yeast together. Set aside. Combine the milk, water and 1 Tbsp butter in a small dish. Microwave for 45 seconds or until butter is melted. Add to the flour mixture with the egg. Knead by hand or with a stand mixer until combined and the dough is no longer sticky, 3-4 minutes. Place in a lightly greased bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and turn off after 10 minutes or right before the rolls go in the oven.
- To make the filling: Roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Spread 2 Tbsp softened butter over the top. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar evenly over the top. Roll up the dough tightly and slice into 13 pieces. Place in a lightly greased 9 x 13 pan, cover the pan with foil and place in the turned off oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and turn the oven to 375. Once preheated, bake for 15 minutes or until the rolls are golden.
- To make the glaze: mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Drizzle over warm cinnamon rolls and dig in!
Makes 13 cinnamon rolls, 6 WWFreestyle Smartpoints each
Nutrition facts per roll including all ingredients:
Step by step pictures…don’t mind the morning sun, I could not get away from it.I think I need to go make a batch of these again!