If you have a ton of summer squash or zucchini on hand then this week’s #FlashbackFriday recipe series is just for you.
Have you all ever heard of Euphrates, Makers of Fine Cheese? Super cool fun fact~ They are owned by the same people that own Chobani Greek Yogurt!!
They sent a a whole lot of their delicious (yes, I said that about stinky cheese!) Feta and asked if I would help them develop a few recipes for their new website.
Recipe Development is one of my favorite things to do because I love putting a healthy spin on recipes in a way that nobody can tell it’s good for them.
As you saw on Sunday, we got Feta Upped in the kitchen! We worked together to develop an entire feta line up ~ appetizer plus dip, one of the best salads I’ve ever had in my life and Grilled Pizza!
Tonight…..I bring you two delicious recipes that are simple to make and can be served as an appetizer, snack or a main dish.
I really loved the Zucchini Corn Fritters I made awhile back and I wanted to find a way to include feta in them. Tracey suggested we make Feta Cheese Balls which we learned only work when you deep fry them….oops.
So, we improvised ~ flattened our balls out and Zucchini Medallions were born!
FETA ZUCCHINI MEDALLIONS (print it!)
- 2 cups zucchini, grated, squeezed & drained to remove excess liquid
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 ounces Feta cheese, crumbled
- Dashes of Sea salt, black pepper & crushed red pepper flakes (about 1/4 tsp)
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup panko (for outside coating)
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil (for frying)
1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Mix the zucchini through the crushed red pepper flakes just until combined.
2. Gradually mix in equal parts flour and breadcrumbs until you can work with the mixture to form 1 inch balls. You may not need to use it all depending on how dry your mixture is.
3. Place the panko crumbs on a plate and roll each ball in the panko until coated. Set aside on a cooking sheet and repeat until the mixture is used up.
4. Heat 1 1/2 Tbsp in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add half of the balls using a spatula to flatten into medallions. Continue cooking until each side is browned, about 4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining medallions. Place on a cooking sheet and keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.
Makes 14 Medallions, 2 WWFreestyle Smartpoints or 2 points+ each (excluding dip)
Nutritional information per Feta Zucchini Medallion for all ingredients:
STEP – BY – STEP
Mix the zucchini through the crushed red pepper flakes just until combined.
Form into 1 inch balls and roll in the panko bread crumbs.
Repeat until 14 balls are formed.
Heat a large nonstick skillet with half o the olive oil over medium heat and “fry” the medallions until each side is golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
Enjoy as is or take it one step further with this creamy, decadent Feta Dill Spinach Dip!
When we were originally thinking we were having Feta Cheese Balls, we thought a dipping sauce was a must. We put our brains together and thought about all of our favorite things.
Who doesn’t love Ranch, Spinach Dip and ummm, cheese! We combined all three flavors to make this rich dip that is completely lowfat and packed with herbed veggie goodness.
CREAMY FETA DILL SPINACH DIP (print it!)
- 6 oz 0% Plan Greek Yogurt
- 3 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh spinach (I used my food processor)
- 4 green onions, minced (I used my food processor)
- 4 oz water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper to taste
1. Combine the yogurt through the garlic in a food processor and process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl once.
2. Spoon yogurt mixture into a medium bowl, and stir in the spinach, green onions, water chestnuts, minced dill, sea salt and black pepper. Cover and chill.
Makes 2 cups, 16 servings, 2 Tbsp each for 1 WWFreestyle SmartPoint or 1 points+
Nutritional information per 1/4 cup serving for all ingredients:
Serve with a big side of veggies and add a dallop to the top of the feta zucchini medallions for the perfect appetizer or snack.
I think this dip would also be fantastic as a sandwich spread, on burgers or with falafel. It can be used in place of any dip or spread.
Stay tuned tomorrow for the Crunchy Feta, Bacon & Pecan Salad!