Hello Danica’s Daily readers!! I was so excited when Danica asked me to do a guest post while she is on vacation! I hope you all enjoy!
I have experimented with a lot of prerace meals, pasta, chicken, rice, and so much more! I am sticking with what works for me and that is PIZZA! I believe that pizza has the perfect balance of carbs, protein, and healthy fats to fuel my body before a big race or even a long run!
First I start with the O’ so easy Pizza Dough Recipe.
Whole Wheat and Honey Pizza Dough
(adapted from allrecipes.com)
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey ( I used Agave Nectar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine flour, wheat germ and salt. Make a well in the middle and add honey and yeast mixture. Stir well to combine. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for a few minutes.
- Roll dough on a floured pizza pan and poke a few holes in it with a fork.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until desired crispiness is achieved.
- sliced bell pepper
- sliced tomato
- leftover asparagus from last night
- goat cheese
- baby spinach
- roasted red peppers
I love experimenting with toppings and this pizza was on of the “Greenest” Pizza I had ever made!
I always make a HUGE salad to enjoy on the side.
I can’t imagine a more perfect pre-race meal!! Please visit, NHerShoes for more pizza ideas and more!!