This year, I’ve really been in love with breakfast casseroles. I wanted to bake up a sweet breakfast casserole that combined the buttery coffee cake cinnamon crumb topping with doughy french toast. The key to making this Overnight French Toast Casserole delicious is allowing the sourdough bread to soak up the creamy eggs overnight creating a casserole that is firm and doughy without being soggy or eggy.
You can use any good freshly baked, doughy bread from your local bakery – I love the tang of sourdough. Boost up the staying power with creamy protein packed eggs then put the finishing touches with a buttery cinnamon sugar crumble.
Add a warm maple drizzle before serving for one satisfying 7 Smartpoints breakfast that will keep you full for hours.
OVERNIGHT CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE (print it!)INGREDIENTS:
- 16 oz sourdough baguette, cut into 1 inch squares
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 1/2 cup 0% Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 tsp cinnamon, divided
- 2 Tbsp golden brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
- Spray a 9 x 13 dish with nonstick spray and add bread. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, yogurt, vanilla, syrup, salt and 2 tsp cinnamon. Pour mixture over bread coating all pieces. Cover and refrigerate overnight or 8 hours.
- Pull casserole out of fridge and uncover. Stir together remaining cinnamon and brown sugar. Sprinkle sugar mixture over casserole then dollop butter all over. Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes, slice and add toppings (think maple syrup, butter, whipped cream, fruit, etc.)
Makes 8 servings, 6 WWFreestyle Smartpoints each
Nutrition facts for all ingredients per serving:
My birthday celebrations started today with my good friend and husband surprising me with breakfast, a trip to Point Reyes and lunch. The Husband has surprises planned for my actual birthday tomorrow – I can’t wait!
Here are a few highlights of today….I sampled everything at Thai but stopped when satisfied.I’ll catch up with you all tomorrow or Friday!