Good Morning everyone! If I had to pick a favorite mealtime, it would be breakfast. I love pretty much all breakfast foods and could honestly eat them at any meal of the day. “BFD” (breakfast for dinner) is my goto when I need something quick that is a low smartpoints dinner. That being said, I often wake up dreaming about fluffy, scrambled eggs, crispy, peppery potatoes, BACON!, sausage….yes, all savory breakfast items, as I cannot do sweet things before noon. Mix and match your favorite breakfast foods then top all that deliciousness with homemade fresh tomato salsa and wrap it up in a warm tortilla for one amazing breakfast that you can eat any time of the day.
Looking for a way to lighten up these breakfast burritos and make them more Weight Watcher Friendly? You can save on smartpoints by subbing my homemade Turkey Apple Sausage (it’s only 2 smartpoints versus 4 sp for the Trader Joe’s Sweet Maple Chicken Apple Sausage I used). Skip the potatoes and instead add sauteed peppers, onions and butternut squash (saves 1 sp). With these changes, you have a 6 smartpoint breakfast burrito.
For those wondering, this Breakfast Burrito is what I literally could not wait to make as soon as I woke up…sometimes I manage to wait for The Husband before diving in…only sometimes though lol.
Did I mention these are super easy to make?! 15 minutes or less and breakfast is served. What are you waiting for? You need to try this.
SAUSAGE, POTATO & EGG BREAKFAST BURRITOS (print it!)
- 1/3 cup Ore Ida Frozen Potatoes O’Brien
- Nonstick spray
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. fat free milk
- Paprika, sea salt & black pepper
- 1 Trader Joes Sweet Maple Chicken Apple Sausage, diced
- 2 Tbsp. Salsa
- 1 La Tortilla Lite Flour Tortilla
- Spray a small nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Add frozen potatoes, sprinkle with salt, pepper and a little paprika if desired. “Fry” the potatoes until golden using additional nonstick spray if needed. Potatoes will be slightly browned. Set aside.
- While the potatoes cook, spray another small nonstick skillet with nonstick spray. Heat over medium low heat. Whisk egg with milk and season with salt and black pepper (a few dashes of each). Stir in the sausage and pour into skillet. Cook until eggs are scrambled, about 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tortilla until slightly warmed. Add potato, egg, sausage and top with salsa if using. Wrap it up and enjoy!
Makes 1 breakfast burrito, 9 smartpoints
Nutritional information per burrito calculated using caloriecount.com
STEP – BY – STEP:
*Note – I made a double batch as I made two burritos so my portions in the below are doubled.
Heat your nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat generously with nonstick spray. Add the potatoes and resist flipping for the first 3-5 minutes, until you can see the bottoms start to brown. Spray the potatoes one more time, top with sea salt, black pepper and sprinkle of paprika (it gives a nice golden color and a great smoky pepper taste). Continue cooking and flipping until the potatoes are slightly browned and cooked through, about 10-12 minutes total.
Meanwhile, whisk your egg with milk, salt & pepper. Stir in sausage and cook in another nonstick skillet sprayed with nonstick spray over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, until scrambled.
These LaTortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Light Flour Tortillas are one of my favorites as they do not taste “diety” at all and are just like soft flour tortillas.
Each tortilla is only 2 smartpoints (points+ too!)
I heat my tortilla up by tossing it on my potato pan for about 30 seconds after I remove my potatoes. Measure out 1/3 cup of potatoes to line your tortilla.
Top with your scrambled eggs and sausage.
My mom makes awesome chiptole salsa that I couldn’t wait to use on these burritos. Any salsa or hot sauce works but fresh is always best.
Scoop about 2-3 tablespoons of salsa on your burrito – it’s zero smartpoints so don’t be shy about using it.
Wrap it up and dive it. It’s spicy, salty, slightly sweet, crunchy and everything you dream a breakfast burrito should be!
What do you put in your breakfast burritos?
Happy New Year all!