Happy Tuesday all! As requested, I am sharing my Mom’s Christmas Tradition ~ Slow Cooker Beef and Chicken Chimichangas Recipe. We have a pretty big family which means several Thanksgiving Turkey’s and Chrismtas Ham’s. Our “Mexican Food” Christmas Dinner started out one year when we were all tired of having ham and turkey. We all LOVED it so much, I cannot honestly remember a Christmas without chimi’s.
She uses the same recipe whether she is making beef or chicken. Just toss everything in the crockpot in the morning and all you have to do is assemble then dig in when you get home.
Create your own “Build a Chimichanga” bar putting out all the toppings and letting everyone pick and choose what they want on theirs. I have been guilty on occasion of stuff my cheese in with my beef or chicken so it melts when “fried” in nonstick spray.
No matter how you make it or how you build it, I am pretty sure everyone will LOVE you for making these…..Just make sure you invite me over too
SLOW COOKER BEEF CHIMICHANGAS
3 lb Lean Beef Roast or Chicken Breast
15 oz can Beef Au Jus (broth)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 cup salsa, any type
Sea Salt & Black Pepper to taste
12 Whole Wheat Tortillas (like La Tortilla)
Low-Fat Shredded Cheese
Shredded Romaine lettuce
Salsa, store bought or make your own
Guacamole, store bought or make your own
Fat Free Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
1. Spray a large 3-5 quart crock pot with nonstick cooking spray. Add beef through onion and cook on low all day, about 8-10 hours.
2. Remove meat from crockpot and shred. Add shredded meat with 1/4 – 1/2 cup reserved broth and salsa to a large skillet. Heat over medium heat until warmed. Set Aside.
3. To assemble ChimiChangas :
~ Warm tortillas between two paper towels in the microwave.
~ Add 1/3 cup beef mixture and folder into a “burrito” with both ends tucked
~ “Fry in nonstick spray or oil in a large skillet over medium heat, browning both sides.
4. Pile on all your favorite toppings and dig in!
Makes 12 large Beef Chimichangas, 9 points+ each, excluding toppings
Nutritional information per serving for 1 Beef Chimichanga in the tortilla, excluding toppings (using caloriecount.com)
1. If you use chicken breast, each ChimiChanga is 8 points+
2. Make up as many Chimi’s as you plan on eating. Reserve your meat for the next day to make up more, use in tacos or make taco salad. The Chimi Meat Freezes well too.
I will catch up with you all tomorrow ~ for now, I NEED sleep….Stay tuned in the AM for probably one of my FAVORITE WORDLESS WEDNESDAY’S YET!
1. What Holiday Traditions do you celebrate with your family and friends?
In our family, we always do our own thing on Thanksgiving (The Husband and I usually travel to celebrate our anniversary). We used to all go hiking to cut our trees, but, we all decided to “save a tree” and now use our artificial trees. The BEST tradition I think we have….definitely Christmas Chimichangas and piling my huge family into one house every year.