#Flashback Friday with these WWFreestyle Zer Point Slow Cooker Beans. Ever since our Day Trip to Savannah, Georgia to visit Mrs. Wilkes, The Husband and I have wanted to recreate some of the delicious Southern Foods we fell in LOVE with there. The first thing we decided to try was her creamy, smoky, black eyed peas. I am sure it was the bacon and the bacon grease that made her Black Eyed Peas amazing. I decided to “healthify” the Black Eyed Peas I was making by using a smoked ham hock and letting them slow cook all day long to absorb that sweet, hickory bacon flavor.
I thought about adding in some bacon as the end for a finishing touch, but, when it came down to it, the Black Eyed Peas had so much flavor, you didn’t need it. I know, I am surprised I actually passed up on adding bacon to something too LOL.
These beans make the perfect Southern Side Dish next to Healthy “Fried” Chicken or make them a meal and serve them up with steamed Collard greens.
SLOW COOKER BLACK EYED PEAS (print it!)
- 1 lb black eyed peas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 ham hock or shank
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- Season to taste with sea salt, black pepper and a few dashes of hot sauce
1. Cover beans with 6-8 cups of water and soak over night or quick soak. To quick soak, cover beans with 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and remove from heat. Allow to sit for 2 hours. Drain and rinse.
2. Spray a large stock pot with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
3. Add getable mixture, ham hock, bay leaf, beans, water and bouillon to your slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or until beans are tender.
4. Remove ham hock. If you would like to include the ham off the bone, dice into pieces and return to ham to the slow cooker. Season to taste with sea salt, black pepper and dashes of hot sauce. Scoop beans into a large bowl and add desired amount of “broth”. Dig in and enjoy!
Makes 12, 1/2 cup servings, 0 WWFreestyle Smartpoints without ham and 1 Smartpoint with ham, 3 points+ each with the diced ham from the ham hock
Nutritional information per 1/2 cup serving with the diced ham from the ham hock
Nutritional information per 1/2 cup serving without the diced ham from the ham hock
STEP – BY – STEP
Soak your beans over night or quick soak as described above. Drain an rinse.
Remove ham hock. If you would like to include the ham off the bone, dice into pieces and return to ham to the slow cooker. Season to taste with sea salt, black pepper and dashes of hot sauce. Scoop beans into a large bowl and add desired amount of “broth”.
I wanted to make sure I shared this recipe as I mentioned on Sunday. You can use any leftovers to make “Black Eyed Pea” Burgers and/or make one fantastic veggie dip by mashing some up.
Keeping up with our 100% tracking challenge, here is how yesterday went down:
- B ~ 1 hard boiled egg (2), 1 1/2 cup fruit salad ~ banana, grapes, melon, pineapple (0)
- S ~ Grande FF Decaf Latte (3)
- L ~ Turkey Burger (4), 100% Whole Wheat Thin Bun (3), lettuce, tomato, onion, 1 Tbsp “secret sauce” (1), Spicy Peanut Asian Slaw (1)
- S ~ 1/4 cup trail mix (5)
- D ~ salad with 1 Tbsp ranch on the side (3), 1 c pasta with meat sauce (7), 1 pesto breadstick (5)
- Total ~ 34 Daily Points+
OK ~ Your Turn, what was on your tracker yesterday?
Have a FANTASTIC Friday ~ I will catch up with you later!