Happy Tuesday all! The Bachelor was so good last night, but, I have to say I am completely pumped for The Biggest Loser to start TONIGHT! I have a feeling I will be hooked on both shows :D I have some super exciting news to share with you all but it has to wait because well, I am short on time this morning. My fun news and a giveaway announcement is coming up later today ~ wooohoo!
Ok ~ now onto what this recipe is all about. I LOVE recipes that use my crockpot because basically all you have to do is put effort together, hit go and then go about your day. When you come home, this deliciousness is just waiting for you to enjoy. I was really excited when they handed out this Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Lasagna in my meeting last week. I modified the recipe bulking it up with veggies and a tad bit more flavor. The result was just short of amazing ~ cheesy layers of protein, pasta and veggies ~ what isn’t to LOVE! I highly recommend it 🙂
SLOW COOKER FULLY LOADED LASAGNA
1 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat)
1 small onion(s), chopped
2 zucchini halved and sliced
2 c sliced mushrooms
3 medium garlic clove(s), minced
28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
15 oz canned tomato sauce
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp sweetener (sugar, agave, sucant, etc)
1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
15 oz low fat ricotta cheese (lowfat cottage cheese works well too)
1 1/2 cup(s) part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
3 oz fresh spinach leaves
6 item(s) dry lasagna noodles, no-cook (I used Trader Joe’s)
1/4 cup(s) shredded Parmesan cheese, strong-flavored like Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano
1/4 c chopped fresh basil, optional
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, sugar, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes; simmer 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
3. Spoon 1/3 of beef mixture into a 5-quart slow cooker. Break 3 lasagna sheets in half and arrange over beef mixture; top with half of ricotta mixture then a layer of spinach leaves. Repeat with another layer and finish with remaining 1/3 of beef mixture.
4. Cover slow cooker and cook on low setting for 4 to 6 hours. Remove cover; turn off heat and season to taste, if desired.
5. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over beef mixture. Cover and set aside until cheese melts and lasagna firms up, about 10 minutes.
Make it VEGETARIAN by using Morning Star Veggie Crumbles or omitting meat
Makes 8 regular or 6 HUGE servings (I cut mine into triangles like a pizza to serve) ~ After all ~ arn’t GNORMOUS servings awesome when they are packed with veggies and you are watching what you eat 🙂
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING BASED ON 1/8TH OF THE PAN:
(6 Weight Watcher Points Per Serving when using 1/8th, 9 WWP if using 6 servings)
Calories 321.6, Total Fat 10.1 g, Saturated Fat 5.0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0.3 g, Cholesterol 68.1 mg, Sodium 1,110.6 mg, Potassium 658.4 mg, Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g, Dietary Fiber 4.8 g, Sugars 7.5 g, Protein 30.6 g
1. Prepare your sauce as instructed in #1.
2. While your sauce is cooking, mix together your ricotta and 1 cup mozzarella. I added 1/4 c chopped fresh basil, however, this is only because I had some to use up.
3. Start layering your lasagna, by using 1/3 of your beef mixture.
4. Then a layer of half of your no cook lasagna noodles.
5. Next a layer of 1/2 your ricotta cheese mixture.
5. Finally a layer of 1/2 of your spinach leaves.
6. Repeat process ending with meat sauce on top.
7. Set your slow cooker to low (4 hours) and medium (6 hours) depending on your crockpot.
8. Turn off the heat, top with your cheeses and set aside for 10 minutes.
Tadah! Super easy and the leftovers are even better the next day.
Veggie pasta layers!
Have an awesome day all ~ I hope to be back later with more fun!