Spicy Potato and Corn Chowder is the perfect soup to warm you up on a cold winter day. This is total comfort in a bowl with a spicy kick that is loaded with flavor and not fat. The best part about it is that you probably already have everything on hand and it only takes minutes to make a fresh, homemade pot of creamy, Spicy Potato, Bacon and Corn Chowder.
SPICY POTATO & CORN CHOWDER
4 small potatoes
4 oz Canadian-style bacon, diced
2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped (or 1 large shallot)
2 cups frozen corn
1 red pepper, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cup(s) fat-free skim milk
Dashes of hot sauce ~ 1 tsp depending on desired spiciness
Sea Salt, Black Pepper to taste
1. Pierce potatoes in several places with a fork; microwave on high power until tender, turning over once, about 8 minutes. Allow to cool; peel, chopped and slightly mash.
2. Meanwhile, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add Canadian bacon and brown for about 3-4 minutes. Remove Canadian bacon.
3. Add olive oil, carrots, onion, garlic and red pepper; sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in corn and Canadian bacon into saucepan. Add potatoes and stir in milk, mix well. Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; stir to combine. Cover and simmer 10 minutes (do not allow to boil).
Optional ~ top with chives, cheese or whatever topping you desire. You can substitute any crunchy vegetables you like for the peppers and carrots (celery, broccoli, asparagus).
Makes 4 servings. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving. 6 Weight Watcher Points Per Serving
1. Start off by cooking your potatoes.
2. While you potatoes cook, add your Canadian bacon to your pan sprayed with non-stick spray and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
3. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. While you Canadian Bacon cooks, prepare your vegetables.
5. Add your olive oil and vegetables to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add your corn and return your Canadian bacon to the pan. Stir to combine.
7. Add you potatoes.
8. Add you milk, sea salt, pepper and hot sauce. Stir to combine, cover and simmer on low for 10 minutes not allowing your soup to boil.
9. Scoop out into your favorite dish and add toppings as desired.