Happy Taco Tuesday everyone!! Don’t worry, I am not starting a new taco tradition although I could totally eat tacos like EVERY TUESDAY. It just so happens that today involved going out for tacos and making some delicious homemade tacos ~ Totally a Taco kind of day!
This morning was the first morning I was rushing around making The Husband’s snack pack, putting dinner in the crockpot, grabbing snacks all while chatting with my Roni about my Guest Post over at Roni’s Weigh.
My hardboiled egg and banana never even had a chance to be photographed as I inhaled it on my way out the door (2 points+)
I was NOT feeling my AM workout at all and pretty much wanted to quit on the Elliptical after 10 minutes. But, I DIDN’T!! I pushed the cross ramp to 20, the resistance to 10 and pushed myself to go as fast as I could for another 10 minutes. I finished off my workout with 10 minutes on the Bike while I caught up with my Words With Friends!
I couldn’t wait to dig into my post workout snack….I used the “fancy” work tools to smash 1 whole low-fat cinnamon graham cracker. (reserving about a tablespoon of the crumbs).
Topped with 1/2 cup TJ’s 0% Greek Yogurt…..
Drizzled with 2 tsp TJ’s Lemon Curd and the reserved graham crackers. LOVE! The Graham Crackers totally made this even better….as in licking the bowl GOOD! (5 points+)
I ended up having my afternoon snack (sans the fruit) early because we didn’t end up heading out for lunch until almost 2 pm. (1 points+)
Lunch was totally worth waiting for!!! I finally ate at my first restaurant in Berkeley ~ Tacubaya! I LOVE the layout of the restaurant….it’s totally casual and fun.
I resisted buying any of these but I totally see a trip in my future because I LOVE all things spicy!!
So many choices, so little room in my stomach! I LOVE that they use organic and sustainable ingredients whenever possible…
2 things worth coming back for that I didn’t get to try
2. Siesta Special ~ 2 tacos and a beer
My Co-worker ordered this delicious looking soup and a fish taco.
“Frijoles con Todo– whole pintos in a seasoned broth with tomatoes, onions, chile, avocado and queso Oaxaca, served with tortillas”
“Taco de Pescado– battered & fried snapper with arbol chile aioli, shredded cabbage and cilantro.”
SIDE NOTE ~ their pickled veggies are AMAZING! I could eat a ton!
I was actually really proud of myself because I stuck to my healthy theme with only ONE taco and a BIG Organic Salad!
“Taco de Pollo– crispy taco filled with shredded organic chicken, cheese, cucumber-tomato salsa and cilantro.”
Next time, I am totally trying out all their hot sauces ~ maybe one for each bite!
“Ensalada de Primavera– mixed greens, shredded cabbage, carrots, red onion and avocado tossed in a lemon vinaigrette, sprinkled with toasted pumpkin seeds.”
Deliciousness! I estimated 5 points+ for my taco and 6 points+ for my salad.
I LOVE MY CROCKPOT because I can come home and have dinner pretty much ready with very little prep work. I tried making up a new version of Shredded Beef Tacos using BEER with salsa this morning and the result was AWESOME!
I can say that because usually I am the one making sounds about how good the food is, but, this time, The Husband did too
SLOW COOKER SOUTHWESTERN STEAK TACOS
- 1 lb Flank, Sirloin or Round Steak
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lime, juice
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 1/4 cup BEER ~ good quality ~ one you like drinking, I used Pacifica
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 10 Corn Tortillas
- 2/3 cup Finely Shredded Low-Fat Sharp Cheese
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Lettuce, Cilantro, Salsa, Sour Cream, Lime Wedges
1. Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray. Season steak with sea salt and black pepper. Combine the lime juice, orange juice, 1 cup beer and 1/3 cup of salsa. Pour over beef and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
2. Remove beef and shredded. Place in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add remaining 1/3 cup salsa with 1/4 cup Beer or juice from the slow cooker. Heat just until warmed.
3. Serve over corn tortillas with all your favorite toppings.
Makes 10 servings, about 1/4 cup per taco, points+ each (meat only, count points+ for tortillas and toppings)
Nutritional information per serving, based on 10 servings, using caloriecount.com
Did I mention that these were AMAZING?! They only took me about 15 minutes to make start to finish…definitely dinner in a hurry!
I had TWO TACOS FOR TACO TUESDAY
* 2 Chili Lime Corn Tortillas (4 points+) ~ these tortillas are worth it to me!
* 1/2 cup Spicy Shredded Beef (6 points+)
* 2 Tbsp salsa fresca (0 points+)
* 2 Tbsp Finely Shredded LF Sharp Cheddar Cheese (1 points+)
* Lettuce, tomato, cilantro and 1/8 AVOCADO (1 Points+)
NEW AT FRIENDS FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Just because it’s fun…..complete this sentence ~ I LOVE my Crock Pot Because……
I am off to dish up a big bowl of watermelon and relax with The Husband!