Every single time we visit Mary’s Pizza Shack, I have to get their Mary’s Side Salad. It is really a simple salad but what makes it fantastic is the little scoop fresh, crunchy, tangy Three Bean Salad that they put on it. The bean salad coats the lettucet in with a rich Italian vinaigrette making it the only dressing you really need.
This weekend I decided I really needed to try to make my own healthy version and serve it over salad for lunches. I bulked it up with extra crunch by adding a bunch of veggies for their texture and flavor. Feel free to mix & match using what you have on hand from celery to carrots, bell pepper, sweet tomatoes, zucchini and more.
The only vegetable I forgot the most important vegetable of all ~ Green Beans!
Instead of heading back to the store, I just went with it and decided this would be a Two Bean Summer Salad lol. Everything in this recipe just works and the longer it marinates, the better it gets. I really love the way the beans add a nice creamy texture when paired with the crisp veggies, tangy red wine vinegar and fresh, sweet basil.
It’s Vegan, Simply Filling & Simply Delicious!
The only thing about making delicious salads like this is that you are probably going to have to share. The Husband ate over half of this so I will definitely double it next time!
TWO BEAN SUMMER SALAD (print it!)
- 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1/4 cup carrots & red cabbage, grated
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
1. In a large mixing bowl combine the beans, vegetables and basil. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic through balsamic vinegar.
3. Pour the dressing over the vegetable bean mixture and toss. Chill 1 hour to allow the flavors to marinate. Enjoy as is or served over mixed greens.
Makes 4 servings, 1 cup each, 5 points+, (100% Simply Filling)
Nutritional information per serving calculated at caloriecount.com
STEP – BY – STEP
In a large bowl, combine the beans, veggies and basil.
Whisk together the the garlic through balsamic to make one delicious dressing. If you would like it sweeter, add 1 tsp honey.
Pour the dressing over the vegetable and bean salad. Toss and enjoy!
I am off to enjoy the night with The Husband and will catch up with you all tomorrow for Wordless Wednesday and my journal if I have time.