Are you all ready to make homemade chicken apple sausage? Ok, I know it’s intimidating, but, what if I told you that you can make ZERO point chicken apple sausage?! Now that definitely makes this recipe worth trying out and is one of the things I absolutely love about the Weight Watchers Freestyle plan.
All you need to do is take 99% lean ground chicken or turkey breast. Add in a little spice and something nice (you know I couldn’t resist saying that!)
To make this easy chicken apple sausage recipe, take ground chicken breast, add a sweet or tart apple, onion, garlic with a little spice and fresh herbs. That’s it! You can totally impress your friends with your fancy sausage making skills.
CHICKEN APPLE SAUSAGE (print it!)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1 lb 99% lean ground chicken
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 small apple or pear, seeded and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano or fennel seed
- 1 tsp. sea salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Form into 16 meatballs.
2. Add 1/2 Tbsp of the canola oil to a large nonstick skillet and heat over medium high heat. Flatten 8 of the meatballs forming them into patties and add them to the skillet.
3. Cook the sausage patties for 4-5 minutes or until browned, flip and repeat browning the other side for another 4-5 minutes or until the sausage is cooked through.
4. Serve at once, storing any extra in an air tight container or wrapping in saran wrap to freeze individually for another time.
Makes 16 sausages, 0 WWFreestyle Smartpoints, 100% Simply Filling
Nutrition facts per serving for all ingredients:
STEP – BY – STEP:
Making your own sausage is actually quite easy. Simply chopped your veggies, herbs and fruit in a food processor. Then, toss everything in a big bowl and mix until combined.I use a knife to evenly divide into 16 triangles, then form the sausages.Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat with a little oil and fry your patties for 3-5 minutes or until browned and cooked through.Keep an eye on these as the maple syrup can brown quickly so you may need to lower the heat or flip more than once.Looking for more Homemade Sausage Ideas? Here are links to other recipes I’ve made up that are fantastic. These can all be made into zero point recipes using 99% lean turkey or chicken.
- Ginger, Pear and Turkey Sausage
- Sun Dried Tomato, Basil Turkey Sausage
- Simply Filling Turkey Apple Sausage
Leave a Reply