I think one of my absolute favorite things in life is muffins. I LOVE muffins because it’s like this perfectly little portions bread made just for you and you don’t have to share if you don’t want to. You also do not have the entire loaf of bread telling you ~ it’s ok, have another slice, then, another, then, another…
This recipe is inspire by my Brown Sugar Banana Nut Muffins. The bananas help to make these muffins super moist and add a hint of sweetness so you use less sugar, while the zucchini adds moisture & a fun green color. I ALWAYS dry roast my walnuts first to because it brings out their rich nutty flavor. This recipe makes a dense, slightly sweet muffin with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. If you want it sweeter, feel free to add another 1/4 – 1/2 cup brown sugar.
ZUCCHINI BANANA NUT MUFFINS
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, smashed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cup zucchini, shredded (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare 2 muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Combine the wet ingredients (egg through oil).
4. Combine the dry ingredients (flour through nutmeg).
5. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until combined. Fold in the zucchini and walnuts.
6. Scoop a 1/2 cup (I use my ice cream scooper) into each muffin tin. Fill any unused muffin tin cups with a little water to prevent your pan from burning.
7. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack. Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze.
NOTE ~ May substitute raisins/crasins/dried fruit for walnuts or add both. (may affect points+
Makes 18 Muffins, 4 points+ each
Nutritional information per serving calculated using caloriecount.com
To FREEZE these muffins, individually wrap in plastic wrap, then, place in a large ziploc bag with 4 points+ & Zucchini Banana Nut Muffins marked on the bag.
Whether you are looking for a way to use up your zucchini or just another tasty way to enjoy banana nut bread, give these muffins a try.
I will be back tomorrow with my thoughts on what helped me LOSE 2.2 LBS this week and a delicious NEW homemade Gnocchi Recipe. There is a fantastic pasta making kit giveaway coming up too.
For now, we are off to see Horrible Bosses! I can’t wait!