Happy Monday all! I have been waiting for good corn to show up just so I could make these crispy, crunchy, slightly sweet, slightly spicy Zucchini Corn Fritters Recipe. This is a recipe I created last year as a tasty way to use up all the fantastic zucchini’s that we had growing in our garden.
I love corn and I honestly would put it in everything if The Husband didn’t freak out about corn in his food….he likes it on the side, just not IN IT. I realized I had never had a “corn fritter” until one of my friends told me they are one of her favorite things to eat.
I decided to “bulk” them up by adding zucchini, peppers and green onion and then “fried” them in nonstick spray versus oil. I actually think I might add a little cajun seasoning for my next go round.
The best part is because they are veggie based, you get 4 fritters for only 0 WWFreestyle Smartpoints or 2 points+ ~ perfect as a light meal with a salad, an appetizer or a snack.
ZUCCHINI CORN FRITTERS (print it!)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium corn on the cob, cut of the cobb
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 1 poblano pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Dashes of hot sauce, optional
1. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not glossy; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, lightly beat egg yolks. Add the corn through hot sauce (if using); thoroughly combine and then fold in egg whites.
3. Coat skillet with cooking spray and warm over high heat; when skillet is hot, reduce heat to medium. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of batter onto skillet to make each fritter. (Do not press fritters down with your spatula since they are meant to be fluffy.)
4. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes; carefully flip and cook until lightly browned and cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove cooked fritters to a serving plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat until all batter is used and then serve immediately.
Makes 16 fritters, 4 per serving, 0 WWFreestyle Smartpoints or 2 points+ a serving
Nutritional information per serving calculated for all ingredients:
Even if you are not a fan of zucchini, you won’t notice it in these fritters.
They are totally corny with a kick if you add a little spice.
For more ideas on how to use up Zucchini ~ check out all the great suggestions you made on my How Do You Use Your Zucc Post!
Thanks again to everyone for all your supportive comments on yesterday’s post. You all are amazing and are the reason I cannot wait to come post each day. I am working on my balance again ~ one thing at a time…today was a great day and tomorrow is going to be even better!