I LOVE thick, hearty and rich vegetable based soups in the winter. This soup has so much flavor that there really is NO cream required. You will be surprised at how easy it is to make and by the flavor. The onion, garlic and ginger give it a nice spice, while the brown sugar and squash sweeten it slightly. I actually learned how to make this simple Butternut Squash soup during my Bikini Bootcamp Challenge. I LOVE how the challenge always had you start each dinner with a broth based soup so that you would eat less during dinner. If you want more low calorie soup recipes like this, be sure to check out the Bikini Bootcamp Challenge or look up my Soups tag.
The BEST part is the fun toppings and add-ins you can use to make it a meal, just have it as is for a snack or before dinner.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and minced
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
3 c low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
Optional topping: Toasted pumpkin seeds or almond slivers for garnish
Optional add in: Serve over steamed vegetables ~ My NEW FAVORITE way to make this filling soup even heartier.
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger, and sauté, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes, until the onion is soft, but, not browned. Stir in the brown sugar and set aside.
2. Cook the squash in a large pot with the broth until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
3. Remove the squash from the heat, but do not drain. Let cool for 10 minutes. Add the garlic-ginger mixture.
4. Work in batches, transfer the soup to a food process or blender and process until smooth.
5. Return the soup to the pot and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Top each serving with a sprinkle of toasted pumpkin seeds or almond slices. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 heaping 1 cup servings
Nutritional information per serving (excluding toppings or add-ins):
Calories 136.6, Total Fat 3.6 g, Saturated Fat 0.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g, Monounsaturated Fat 2.5 g, Cholesterol 0.0 mg, Sodium 62.5 mg, Potassium 522.2 mg, Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g, Dietary Fiber 5.3 g, Sugars 0.0 g, Protein 3.4 g
Have a great night all! I will be back tomorrow with my daily recap and my first LONG run recap. Fun!