There is something about cold, rainy, winter days that makes me crave thick, hearty, smoky soups that are packed with sausage, pastas, beans and greens. This Smoked Chicken Sausage, Greens and Beans Soup really kicks up the smokiness by adding in sweet, crunchy fire roasted corn with fire roasted diced tomatoes and green chilies. The greens and orzo add a deliciously nutty and crunchy texture while the Sweet Thai Chili sauce adds just the right amount of rich, sweet, heat.
You can mix and match any combination of meats, beans, veggies and broth ~ just use whatever you have on hand to whip up your own Greens, Beans and “things” soup.
Did I mention this soup would be FANTASTIC with Leftover Corned Beef & Cabbage the day after St. Patrick’s day too?? Just sub the corned beef for the sausage and use greens or cabbage in the mix for another way to enjoy your day in a GREEN WAY!
Yup….I really DID say that ~ You should know by now I am cheesy like that! lol….
CHICKEN SAUSAGE, GREENS AND BEANS SOUP (print it!)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb (package) Smoked Mozzarella Chicken & Artichoke Sausages, quartered.
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 6 cups chopped fresh greens (collard, mustard, turnip, etc.)
- 2 cups fire roasted frozen corn kernels
- 15.5 oz white kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 15.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
- 3/4 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
1. Heat a large soup pan over medium high heat with the oil. While the oil heats in a large soup pan (about 5 quarts), prep your veggies and sausage.
2. Add the vegetable sausage mixture and cook stirring occasionally until lighten browned, about 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the greens and cook, stirring gently until greens wilt, about 3 minutes. Stir in corn, beans, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth and sweet chili sauce. Bring to a boil.
4. Stir in orzo pasta. Return soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 10-12 minutes. Enjoy as is or with all your favorite toppings.
Makes 8 servings, 1 1/2 cups each, 6 points+ each
Nutritional information per serving calculated at caloriecount.com
STEP – BY – STEP
Everything in this soup makes it delicious, but, I do think that these Artisan Fresh Mozzarella & Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausages that I bought at Sam’s Club this soup even more amazing than the usual “smoked turkey sausage”.
REAL ingredients that you can recognize!
3 points+ each!
While the oil heats in a large soup pan (about 5 quarts), prep your veggies and sausage.
Add the vegetable sausage mixture and cook stirring occasionally until lighten browned, about 4-5 minutes.
Add in the greens ~ you may have to do them in batches by letting it wilt down, then, add more.
You can use regular corn and diced tomatoes, but, I really wanted the “smoked” flavor to stand out so I added Fire Roasted Corn, Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes and Beans. You can also use any variety of bean (black eyed peas would be awesome!)
Add the Sweet Chili Sauce for a little sweet heat then the broth.
Stir to combine and bring the soup to a boil.
Once it boils, add the Orzo, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
Remove list and enjoy as is or add another layer of flavor with crunchy toppers like tortilla chips or “fried” onions.
Dig in and enjoy a little bit of everything in this Greens, Beans and Things Soup!
Happy Weekend all!!!