#Flashback Friday with one of my favorite WWFreestyle Zero Smartpoint Vegan”salads” that I originally posted 6 years ago.
Happy Monday all! Thanks for all the support on my decision to go with Simply Filling for the month of July (maybe more!) You all completely inspire me when I get to read about your journeys too. Each comment was a little motivational boost to ignore that big jar of Biscoff or the Salt & Vinegar almonds staring at me on my desk saying “Just one bite, Just one nut!” LOL…..But, I didn’t give in to a single one….
You know why?! All of my food today was so completely satisfying and tasty too!
Breakfast started off with scrambled ham ‘n’ eggs. Canadian Bacon is the one bacon that is Simply Filling and it shows up on my menu as “bacon” a lot.
5 points+ for those counting ~ 100% Simply Filling
- 1 egg plus 3 egg whites
- 3 slices Trader Joe’s 97% Lean Canadian Bacon
- Splash of FF Milk
- Sea salt, black pepper, hot sauce
- Tomatoes from our garden! and green onions
Served up with a big bowl of Melon.
I have also decided I am drinking one big bottle and/or glass of water with each meal. I took everything with me along with my Green Mountain Iced Island Coconut Coffee.
Another goal I have for the month is going to be do to “something” active every day for 20 minutes. Today I got out at lunch and got my walk on!
I walked 3.9 miles and burned 4 pears according to my Cardio Trainer App on my Razr Max ~ so fun!
I couldn’t wait to dig into lunch once I got back and cooled off. Today’s lunch was courtesy of my fantastic Weight Watchers leader. She gave us all this recipe as a quick side to make for our July 4th BBQ. It’s light, simple, VEGAN and takes less than 15 minutes to make and cook. I did end up seasoning it up a bit with flavored vinegars and serving it over a bed of organic mixed greens to make it a meal.
The part that makes this salad so fun is we bought everything except the chickpeas at the Farmer’s Market.
This recipe comes from an older Weight Watcher’s book I have ~ it’s 100% Simply Filling and works for pointsplus as well!
Chickpea, Asparagus & Corn Sauté (print it!)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (or thawed frozen)
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp rice wine or white balsamic vinegar (I added both)
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion, cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
2. Add the asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally, until bright green, about 2 minutes. Add the corn and cook 1 minute longer. Add the chickpeas and cook, stirring occasionally, until asparagus is tender, about 1-2 minutes more.
3. Remove the skillet from the heat; stir in the tomatoes, basil, vinegar, sea salt and pepper.
Makes 4 servings, 1 cup each, 0 WWFreestyle Smartpoints, 5 points+ each
Nutritional information per serving for all ingredients
STEP – BY – STEP
Sauté the olive oil, garlic and onions for 30 seconds.
Add the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes until bright green.
Add the corn and cook 1 more minute.
Add the chicken peas and cook 1 additional minute.
Add the basil, tomatoes, vinegar, sea salt and black pepper to taste. Toss and enjoy!
To serve mine, I started off with a big bowl of mixed greens.
Then, I piled it high with 1 big cup of the Asparagus, Corn and Chickpea Saute. Totally light, refreshing, colorful and the sauce is delicious over the greens ~ no dressing required!
I packed extra snacks with me today because I was not sure how hungry I’d be. I started off with a banana and lite string cheese, but, an hour later I was hungry again.
I decided to snack late afternoon so I didn’t eat everything in the house when I walked in the door. I pulled out my Pluot and a Fage 0% Strawberry. I count 1 points+ for the “jam” towards my WPA.
Dinner started with fizzy water in our new cups which make drinking water so fun!
Dinner started with a BBQ Chicken Leg 1 points+ for the BBQ sauce!
Probably my FAOVIRTE Simply Filling Food ever ~ Sweet Potato “Fries” cooked in my healthy 2 tsp of canola oil and topped with sea salt.
Farmer’s Market Corn! I was satisfied so I never went back for the other half.
Happiness is…anything BBQ’d, grilled and served with Corn & Sweet Potato Fries!
I decided to go back and update each day for the full results. You can see yesterday’s total now.
- 2,962 calories burned
- 11,161 steps taken
- 2 WPA used, 34 WPA remaining (25 daily points+)
Ok, your turn ~ Finish this statement “Happiness is…….” (fill in the blank)