#FlashbackFriday with this simple salad that is perfect for lunches. I grew up loving sweet and creamy carrot and raisin salad. My mom would make this simple, refreshing summer salad packed with fresh, juicy shredded carrots, plump raisins and a sweet creamy dressing every summer. I am pretty sure I am the only person in my family other than my mom who loved it, but, I did and would ask for it all the time.
I was recently reminded of this salad when I was browsing one of my old Weight Watchers Ultimate CORE Cookbooks and thought, ohhhh, it’s been so long since I’ve had that. I adapted my mom’s recipe and put a spin on the “too healthy” version in my cookbook to create this grown up version of Creamy Carrot and Raisin Salad with Chicken.
The key to making this salad incredibly tasty is to shred your own carrots, but, feel free to save time and buy the pre-grated carrots in a bag. I decided to make this salad a meal by adding in some chicken (I used rotisserie), brightening it up with lemon and lightening it up with 0% Greek yogurt with just a little mayo to add flavor without the fat. The sweet pecans add another layer of sweet crunch and I think adding a pinch of fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme would make this taste like a holiday salad.
Want it a little sweeter ~ add in a can of crushed pineapple, drained.
Serve this up on a sandwich or toss it over mixed greens for one deliciously healthy meal!
CHICKEN, CARROT, RAISIN SALAD (Print it!)
- 1/3 cup 0% Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp fat free or low fat mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Agave Nectar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
- 3 cups carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup green onions, diced
- 6 oz cooked chicken breast, diced
- 1/3 cup raisins*
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 Tbsp dry roasted pecans, chopped
- 8 cups mixed greens
* To make this 100% Simply Filling, substitute 1 cup sliced red grapes for the raisins, omit the agave and the pecans. This would reduce the WWFreestyle Smartpoints to 1 per serving. (Count 5 WPA for agave, nuts & raisins if using Simply Filling.)
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, agave nectar, lemon zest and juice,sea salt, and pepper.
2. Add the carrots, chicken, green onions and raisins to the dressing; toss to coat.
3. Divide the mixed greens evenly among 4 plates. Top with 1 heaping cup of the creamy chicken, carrot, raisin salad and sprinkle each plate with 1 Tbsp pecans. Enjoy!
Makes 4 salads (1 heaping cup Chicken, Carrot, Raisin Salad), 6 WWFreestyle Smartpoints, 6 points+ each
Nutritional Information per serving for all ingredients:
I am off to see my hair dresser and chat up the night. Catch up with you all tomorrow with another Simply Filling Day.