I LOVE using my BBQ grill year round, even in the rain. There is just something about the way it tastes all smoky, crispy and grilled to perfection. This recipe comes close to bringing that BBQ deliciousness. Using your slow cooker, you can whip up a tender barbecued beef, pork or chicken sandwich inside and have dinner ready as soon as you walk in the door with little to get it served up and on the table.
This recipe could be used for fun mini BBQ Sliders at your Super Bowl Sunday party tomorrow…let the smell drive your guests crazy all day during the game, then, put these out at half time and watch them disappear.
My inspiration for this recipes comes from the Weight Watcher’s Slow CookIt! Cookbook…I added a few more ingredients to spice it up and of course went with a Healthy Asian Slaw versus a Mayo based slaw. Enjoy!
SLOW COOKER SPICY BBQ BRISKET WITH HEALTHY ASIAN SLAW (print it!)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tsp canola oil, separated
- 1 1/2 lbs LEAN beef brisket or other lean cut of beef
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup sweet jalapeño or chili sauce, 1/4 cup for less spice
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 Tbsp strongly brewed coffee
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke, optional
- Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
- Healthy Asian Slaw, Recipe Below
1. Combine chili powder through black pepper to create a “rub” mixture. Rub your spice mixture generously over both sides of your brisket and set aside.
2. Heat a nonstick pan with 1 teaspoon canola oil over medium heat. Add sliced onion and cook, stirring often, until slightly golden, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a large 4 quart pan or your removable crockpot pan, heat remaining 2 tsp canola oil over medium high heat. Add your brisket, searing it on each side for about 4-5 minutes or until a nice golden crust forms. Remove pan from heat and add brisket to your crockpot and top with onions.
4. To create your spicy BBQ sauce, combine ketchup through coffee and pour over your beef/onion mixture. Be sure to coat your brisket thoroughly including lifting it to make sure sauce is underneath as well.
5. Slow cook is for 7-9 hours or until fork tender. Remove brisket from crockpot and cut across the grain to shred. Serve on buns with additional sauce and Healthy Asian Slaw.
Makes 10 servings, approximately 1/3 c brisket/3 slices, 6 points+ each
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING (excluding the buns & the slaw):
HEALTHY ASIAN SLAW (print it!)
Whenever I have a spicy BBQ sandwich, I LOVE to have a cool, crunchy salad to go with it. I think this Healthy Asian Slaw takes the flavor of this Spicy BBQ Brisket Sandwich to a whole new level without adding the calories and fat you’d find with regular Cole Slaw. This slaw also makes an AWESOME side dish topped with toasted almond slices or add some grilled chicken for a complete meal.
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/2 cup green onions or cilantro, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) package cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
Whisk together orange juice through honey to form slaw sauce. Combine green onions with slaw mixture and pour sauce. Top with sesame seeds stirring well to combine. Sea Salt and pepper to taste.
**It’s VEGAN, if you use Agave
Makes 8 servings, 1/2 cup each, 1 points+ per serving
Nutritional information per serving calculated at caloriecount.com
STEP – BY – STEP:
Cook your onions until slightly golden.
Sear your prepared “rubbed” brisket on both sides until a nice brown crust forms, about 4-5 minutes over medium high heat.
Whisk together your Spicy BBQ Sauce. I wasn’t sure I could handle a full 1/2 cup of chili sauce, so I opted for it’s sweeter friend ~ Sweet Jalapeño Sauce from Bolani. I LOVE this sauce ~ it’s slightly spicy, slightly sweet and amazing on anything form eggs to breads to sauces.
Place your brisket and onions in your crock pot, Cover with sauce and cook slow and low for 7-9 hours.
Remove brisket from your crock pot and shred/slice.
Top half your bun with your brisket mixture and additional spicy BBQ sauce ~ 1-2 Tbsps.
Top with a heaping spoonful of Healthy Asian Slaw.
Top with your other bun top.