One of The Husband’s FAVORITE things in this world is the REAL DEAL Rocky Road Squares. What’s not to LOVE about marshmallows, chocolate and roasted walnuts?! I have to say the “key” to making this recipe EXCEPTIONAL is DRY ROASTING your walnuts before you chop them.
TO DRY ROAST WALNUTS: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Spread walnuts on a cookies sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes, until fragrant and slightly browned. Allow to cool and roughly chop.
I will often “dry roast” walnuts in large batches because they are a delicious snack and a great addition to recipes like this, salads, oatmeal and more.
ROCKY ROAD SQUARES
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, good quality – any type you would eat
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, good quality – any type you would eat
- 2 tsp regular butter
- 3 cup Mini Marshmallows
- 1/3 cup Dry Roasted and Roughly Chopped Walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. Dry Roasted and Roughly Chopped Walnuts
1. Line a 9- X 9-inch pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
2. In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly combined; remove from heat and stir in marshmallows and all but 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
3. Scrape chocolate mixture into prepared pan using a silicon spatula; smooth into a somewhat even layer. Top with remaining 2 Tbsps of walnuts. Refrigerate until chocolate sets, at least 1 hour; keep refrigerated until ready to eat. Cut into 16 pieces and serve.
Makes 16 servings, 3 points+ each
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Melt your chocolates and butter in a double broiler over medium low heat.
Remove from heat and add in marshmallows and 1/3 cup walnuts.
Smooth mixture into a 9×9 pan covered in foil.
Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts.
Refrigerate for 1 hour and slice into 16 squares. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
Phew!!! I think that catches me up on all the Bake-A-Thon Recipes I owed you all. In case you missed any, here they are:
* Low-Fat Banana Bread Cookies
* Brown Sugar Banana Nut Muffins
* Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
See you all later with my weigh in, weekly menu and some daily eats!
J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) says
YUMMMM! Those look heavenly!
Marisa @ Loser for Life says
I don’t think I could trust myself with any of these AMAZING recipes, Danica!!! They all look so good, I’m sure I’d gobble them up in a minute!
seriously all these awesome treats that the whole recipe falls under the 49 weekly points allowance,…AWESOME!!!!! 😉
I’m allergic to walnuts but think I could sub in another nut or pretzels here! FUN!
janetha @ meals & moves says
Made these today and they are delish! Hard to stop at just one though so I sent the rest to work with hubby.
I just made these today and they are amazing! They def will satisfy a sweet tooth. Love them!