This Smoked Chicken Sausage, Greens and Beans Soup total hits the spot on a cold, rainy winter day and will be on your table in under 30 minutes. The sausage adds richness while the beans bulk up the protein with a creamy texture that works well with the crunchy veggies and smokey fire roasted tomatoes. Any chicken or turkey sausage works in this recipe, but, try to go with a version that adds a bit of extra flavor like the Roasted Garlic Mozzarella Sausage I used or Jennie-O’s Mild or Spicy Italian Turkey Sausage.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 roasted garlic & mozzarella chicken sausages, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes with green chiles
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups kale, roughly chopped
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- dash of crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large soup pan. Add sausage and cook until slightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Remove sausage and set aside.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, carrot and garlic to the pan and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the pinto beans, fire roasted tomatoes, chicken broth and kale. Cook until the kale is wilted, about 5-7 minutes. Return sausage to pan and season to taste with sea salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes if using. Enjoy!
Makes eight 1 1/2 cup servings for 3 smartpoints (excludes vegetables)
Nutrition facts per serving including the vegetables calculated at caloriecount.com
Our San Diego Vacation begins this week and I cannot wait. I have a few fun things planned for you all starting with a fun Breakfast For Dinner Post and Giveaway coming up tomorrow.