This recipe is so easy to make and something that is perfect for to have during the week when you are short on time. It has so much flavor that your “beef” LOVERs will not be able to that you “healthified” it by using Turkey and low-fat cheese. Every time I eat this dish, I am pretty much convinced that all spaghetti dishes just NEED to have cheese melted all over them.
BAKED TURKEY ZITI (print it!)
- 1.25 lbs Lean Ground Turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 15 oz organic diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce ( LOVE TJ’s Low-Fat Marinara) or make your own)
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper flakes
- Garlic Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
- 6 oz uncooked Whole Wheat Penne Pasta (I used Barilla Plus)
- 3 oz low fat mozzarella cheese
- 3 Tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
1. Cook your pasta according to the directions on the box. While it is cooking, prepare your sauce and preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9×13 dish with nonstick spray.
2. Brown your ground turkey through mushrooms until the turkey is cooked through and no longer pink. Drain if there is excess water and return to pan. Sprinkle with garlic salt, freshly ground pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Add your diced tomatoes and marinara. Heat through ~ about 5 –10 minutes.
3. Drain your pasta and add it to your turkey sauce.
4. Stir pasta and sauce together and pour into a prepared 9×13 dish. Top with cheeses and bake for about 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
Makes 6 BIG servings at 9 points+ each or 8 regular sized servings at 7 points+ each
Nutritional information based on 8 servings, calculated at caloriecount.com
STEP – BY – STEP
Whip up your favorite meaty pasta sauce. You can make this vegetarian by using Veggie Crumbles or your favorite beans.
Add your cooked whole wheat pasta. I used Barilla Plus for an added Omega and Protein boost.
Mix it all together and pour into a 9 x 13 dish sprayed with nonstick spray.
Top with your cheeses.
Bake for 20 minutes @ 400 degrees or until the cheese is melty and slightly browned.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and enjoying!
To round out our meal, I made up quick salads (1 points+):
- Organic Romaine
- Organic Red/Green Bell Pepper
- Organic Cucumber slices
- Mushroom slices
- 1 Tbsp Chickpeas
- Bruschetta + Balsamic & a sprinkle of shaved parmesan & black pepper
Topped with Bruschetta & Balsamic “syrup” = No dressing needed at all!
The BEST part of this week’s recipes from the archives is having leftovers the next day. There is just something about red sauce dishes that tastes so much better the next day.
Happy Friday all!