Happy Biggest Loser day all!!! My post tonight is going to be FAST because it’s almost time to watch the “finale before the finale”! I LOVE that so many of you are rooting for ADA – Go GIRL POWER!
I learned today from my co-worker that 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters has the same points+ value as a 1/4 cup! Ummmm, why would you use any less than the full points+
I whipped up this quick scramble this morning while I packed my lunch.
1 organic zucchini, quartered
handful of mushrooms chopped
1 oz lean ham, chopped (1 pt+)
1/2 cup Egg Beaters (1 pt+)
Sea Salt & Black Pepper
I actually took my eggs to go to whip up breakfast “tacos” when I got to work.
Scoop in some “Green Eggs n Ham”
2 spicy, flavor packed breakfast tacos plus the extra on the side for 6 POINTS+!
Lunch wasn’t quite as exciting and was something I quickly threw together with what we hand on hand.
2 Slices Trader Joe’s Fat Free Multi-Grain Bread (3 pts+)
2 oz lean ham (2 pts+)
1 oz Low-Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese (2 pts+)
Cranberry Mustard (0 pts+)
The same Arugula Salad with TJ’s Cranberry Walnut Dressing you saw on Sunday. (2 pts+)
There are so many good things on the menu this week to make, but, the one I’ve been wanting to make the most is putting a healthy spin on Giada’s Macaroni & Cheese Cupcakes.
My “healthified” version uses low fat cheese, extra lean ground turkey, less oil, less bread crumbs, less cheese, whole wheat pasta and turkey BACON! I guess, I didn’t really stick to the recipe too much this time
BAKED TURKEY & BACON MACARONI & CHEESE CUPS
Vegetable cooking spray
1 cup dried Italian bread crumbs, divided
8 ounces extra lean ground turkey breast
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
8 ounces whole wheat elbow pasta, you want small noodles
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 1/2 cups low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, not mild
6 slices lean turkey bacon
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 cups broccoli, chopped and blanched
1-2 tablespoon olive oil for drizzling
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 2 (12-cup) muffin or cupcake pans with vegetable cooking spray. Using 1/3-1/2 cup of the bread crumbs, coat the inside of each muffin cup with bread crumbs, shaking off any excess.
2. Spray a medium skillet with nonstick spray and place over medium high heat Add the ground turkey, onion and garlic 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through, about 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Drain and add to a large bowl. Stir in the cooked turkey mixture, the cheeses and the turkey bacon. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Spoon the prepared pasta mixture into the cupcake molds, filling evenly to about 2/3 full. Arrange a few pieces of broccoli and tomato into each cup. Top with a thin layer of the remaining bread crumbs and drizzle with olive oil.
5. Bake until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes and carefully unmold with a spoon onto a serving platter.
Makes 8 servings, 3 muffin cups each, 10 points+
Nutritional Information per serving
Spray your muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray and coat with about 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs shaking off any excess.
“Brown” up your ground turkey, onion, garlic and seasoning, set aside.
Cook your pasta according to the packaged directions.
Make your “bacon macaroni & cheese mix”. Add your drained pasta to your turkey mixture.
Add your TWO cheese.
Plus cooked, crumbled turkey bacon!
Stir to combine and taste to make sure your seasoning is good. Ummm, can I just say with bacon and TWO cheeses it was already spot on
Scoop into your prepared muffin tins.
Add a little broccoli to each muffin cup.
Then, a few tomatoes.
Sprinkle with a light layer of your remaining breadcrumbs. You will not use all your bread crumbs and that’s ok.
Drizzle each muffin cup with a little olive oil. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Allow to cool and serve.
My muffin cups didn’t stay in “cup” until completely cooled and put away. Either way it doesn’t matter because this recipe was “OFF THE HOOK” good!
Cheesy, noodley (yes, it’s a word!) with the sweetness of the tomatoes, crunch of the broccoli and smoky turkey bacon.
I am soooo having this for lunch tomorrow ~ I cannot wait! Leftovers rock
The BEST PART…..I still have points+ left for CHOCOLATE tonight (during Biggest Loser of course LOL). I had 2, then, went back for 2 more (4 points+)
What is one food or foods that is 100% worth the calories/points+ to you?
For me, it’s definitely macaroni & cheese, bacon, bread and chocolate. But, really, I don’t discriminate, I think I LOVE all food and it’s worth the points LOL.