As the weather gets colder with Winter just around the corner, I crave healthy, low point casseroles that stick to your ribs and fill you up like chicken pot pie. Only I really wanted to have the little biscuit dough balls you get with a Bubble Up Casserole. This casserole recipe has everything I’ve been dreaming about.
Bubble Up Chicken Pot Pie Casserole….creamy chicken with hearty veggies, fresh thyme with little chewy dough balls on the bottom and crispy Parmesan dough balls on top.
Total comfort food!
BUBBLE UP CHICKEN POT PIE CASSEROLE (print it!)INGREDIENTS:
- 5 tsp butter, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size chunks
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 2 oz low fat cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 container Trader Joe’s Refrigerated Biscuits **
- 1 oz fresh parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken from pot with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Melt remaining 2 teaspoons butter in same pot over medium-high heat; add celery, carrots, mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat and sprinkle vegetables with flour; cook, stirring, until vegetables are coated, about 1 minute. Stir in broth; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium; simmer 5 minutes. Add peas, cream cheese, thyme, salt and pepper; simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened and vegetables are just tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in chicken and any accumulated juices.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with nonstick spray. Break half the biscuits into bite size pieces and place in the 9 x 13 dish. Break the other half into pieces and mix slight in the chicken mix.
- Pour the chicken mix into the casserole dish, top with parmesan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden and biscuits are cooked.
Makes 8 squares, 10 WWFreestyle Smartpoints each
** Note: you can save on Smartpoints by buying the small 7.5 oz biscuit container making each serving 6 Smartpoints.
Nutrition facts per serving for all ingredients:
STEP – BY – STEP:
I know I wrote alot of steps above but I promise this is easy to make….the steps just help you build that delicious creamy filling that starts with a little melted butter.Cook the chicken over medium high heat until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper then remove from the pan.Add the remaining butter plus the veggies cooking until softened, about 5 minutes.Sprinkle flour over the veggies and stir it in cooking 1 minute longer.Add the broth scraping any browned bits on the bottom. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to medium simmering 5 minutes until slightly thickened.To add a bit more richness to your gravy, melt in the cream cheese then add the sweet peas and thyme. Cook about 8 minutes to thicken.Remove from heat and stir in chicken.Then carefully toss in the other half of torn biscuit pieces.Pour everything into the prepared casserole pan and top with a little parmesan for good measure.Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes until the top is slightly golden and the biscuits are cooked through.This was such a big hit with us – The Husband had 3 pieces! I think this casserole is even better the next day.