Hi all! One of the ideas I have is doing a Weekly Throwback Thursday or Flashback Friday to share some of my favorite recipes I’ve made from my archives. I’ll work through updating the points to SmartPoints as I repost. I need your help though…What’s the difference between Throwback Thursday or Flashback Friday and does it matter what day I pick? I have no clue?? Also like the idea or not?
Here we go as originally posted in February 2011…..
I think out of all the Won Ton Recipes I have ever made from potstickers to tiny tacos to banana nutella won tons, that these 2 points+ Low Fat Lasagna Cups might take the cake or the cupcake that is I LOVE pasta of all shapes, sizes and styles, but, lasagna is probably my 2nd favorite pasta after mac n cheese.
As I was browsing ideas for how to use up my Won Ton Wrappers aside from ravioli’s when I came across this idea for making Lasagna Cupcakes. I was intrigued by the name and when I clicked to the recipe, I knew I had to create my own Weight Watcher friendly 2 points+ Lasagna Cupcakes.
I LOVE the idea of having little cheesy, saucy bites of vegetable lasagna. I LOVE how the tops of these Lasagna Cups are covered with cheesy goodness and you can break off bits of the crunchy outer shell.
You could easily take a short cut and use a jarred sauce, but, if you have the time, make your own with or without meat and with RED WINE~ it’s definitely worth it! The cups are delicious on the first day, but, as with any good red wine pasta sauce, they are even better the next day.
Did I mention they only take minutes to make and bake?! Serve them up with a simple green salad and I bet everyone at the table will be impressed.
LOW FAT LASAGNA CUPS (print it!)
- 1 1/2 cups Veggie Marinara, jarred or homemade
- 3 ounce fresh spinach, minced
- 1/2 cup carrots, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup fat free ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Dashes of sea salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 oz low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 oz parmesan, grated
- 24 small square wonton wrappers
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place a 12 cup standard muffin tin on a cookie sheet and spray each cup with nonstick spray. Set it aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine spinach through crushed red pepper flakes.. Mix well then stir in 1/3 cup of the mozzarella. Set aside.
3. Start layering your lasagna cupcakes. Begin with a wonton wrapper and press it into the bottom of each muffin tin. Sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese mix and mozzarella cheese. Then, top with a little marinara sauce. Use around 1-2 teaspoons of all the ingredients depending on your personal preference, smoothing the surfaces with the back of a spoon after each addition. Repeat layers ending with marinara sauce. Top with reserved Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
4. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until edges are brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. To remove use a knife to loosen the edges then pop each lasagna out.
5. Garnish with basil and serve.
Makes 12 Lasagna Won Ton Cups, 2 points+ or 3 SmartPoints each, 100% Simply Filling with Fat Free Cheeses
Nutritional information per cup, calculated using caloriecount.com
STEP – BY STEP:
I definitely think the “secret ingredient” ingredient in this recipe are these Extra Thin New Hong Kong Won Ton Wrappers. You get 10 for 2 points+, meaning this recipe adds ONLY 5 points+ for all 24 ~ SCORE!
You could “technically” use a cookie cutter to cut perfect won ton circles to fit the tin, but, I kind of liked the idea of having crispy cheesy noodle edges hanging over the sides.
Press each won ton into the tin.
For me lasagna is ALL ABOUT the cheese so don’t be shy. Sprinkle a little mozzarella here and a little parmesan there.
Top with you fun spinach GREEN ricotta veggie mix.
Add your sauce of choice Jarred or homemade sauce and more CHEESE, please!
Then, you just layer it up all over again……I made sure my second layer of won tons crossed the other way so I had 8 edges showing instead of 4….it probably doesn’t matter either way though.
Finishing with cheese on top!
Pop them in the oven, bake for 20 minutes, then let cool for 5 minutes as you ponder how many you can have.
The BEST part about having these single serving lasagna cups is that you can have more than 1 and not kill your points+ budget.
These would be “fun” to serve as an appetizer during the holidays too because they can be red/green in December “orangy-green” in October (ok, that might be stretching it)
Anyway, you make them or serve them….try these! If you can’t eat all 12, then, just freeze them!
To FREEZE: wrap them in plastic wrap, place in an airtight container and freeze them for the next time you want homemade lasagna in minutes without having to cook.
One of my favorite recipes from the archives that was featured in Fitness Magazine last year. I think these will definitely be making an appearance during Meatless March!
Happy Friday all!!